Space usage for pool

Dohuginn

Dabbler
I got a message in my Alerts:

Space usage for pool "apps" is 70%. Optimal pool performance requires used space remain below 80%.​

In the Dataset section we see
ix-appl.jpg

When using du, we have
admin@truenas[/mnt/apps]$ sudo du -h --max-depth=1
29M ./tvheadend
197M ./navidrome
44G ./ix-applications
1.5K ./filebrowser
30M ./nextcloud
9.0M ./qbittorrent
45G .
Here we see only 45G. What to believe and how to clear the "apps" pool?

chuck32

Guru
Here we see only 45G. What to believe
It seems like du -h will only see / list unlocked datasets. If you have encrypted and locked datasets they will not show up here.

I'd believe what you see in the dataset section. If you select the ix-applications folder, check on the right:

1708176565021.png

If you have snapshots setup, it may be that the total allocation exceeds what is actually currently written.

how to clear the "apps" pool?
Uninstall apps / delete data ;)

What else is on the pool apps besides the ix folder? Like mentioned above check if snapshots are using up space and basically clear space by removing all unwanted data. Remember, if you retain older snapshots the space will not be freed until you deleted the corresponding snapshots.

Dohuginn

Dabbler
There are folders, but they take up tens of megabytes. snapshots are not configured, but I have a question. In the figure below, it is circled in red.

details.jpg

What is it?

chuck32

Guru
What is it?
Click on it and you'll see the snapshots for this dataset (and possible can deduct from the name where they come from). And it also shows you, if you click on the snapshot what size is referenced.

Dohuginn

Dabbler
Are there any contraindications to removal? After clicking on the Manage Snapshot
snap.jpg

chuck32

Guru
Are there any contraindications to removal? After clicking on the Manage Snapshot
These are automatically created snapshots by the system.

Here is a good post explaining snapshots with a link to a nice picture. In general removing snapshots will not harm your file system. If you do not need the snapshots, delete them.