Space first, then speed

AVB

Contributor
I'm going to need more space before I need more speed. Currently I am using Dell Perc H310 flashed to IT mode and they work fine with the 3 & 4 TB drives I have. The question is will they work with 10TB 4K drives? If using the onboard bios I already know the answer is no but I didn't find anything about IT mode and 4K drive for this card. Does anyone have any experiance with the LSI 9211 or IBM M1015 or this Dell and any 4K drives? I just need it to work until I can get some 12GB HBA's later on. TIA.

Evertb1

Guru
Afaik know that card in IT mode does not care about sector size. I can't guarantee it because I haven't done that yet. I own a couple of those myself and I am thinking about replacing the 4TB drives in my backup system with a couple of 12TB Ironwolfs. I don't expect trouble. Just don't throw SAS3 drives at it. That won't work.

AVB

Contributor
Afaik know that card in IT mode does not care about sector size. I can't guarantee it because I haven't done that yet. I own a couple of those myself and I am thinking about replacing the 4TB drives in my backup system with a couple of 12TB Ironwolfs. I don't expect trouble. Just don't throw SAS3 drives at it. That won't work.
Thanks for the info, not entirely what I wanted to hear. I was hoping the SAS3 drives would step down to SAS2 performance until I could upgrade the HBAs

AVB

Contributor

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm going to need more space before I need more speed. Currently I am using Dell Perc H310 flashed to IT mode and they work fine with the 3 & 4 TB drives I have. The question is will they work with 10TB 4K drives? If using the onboard bios I already know the answer is no but I didn't find anything about IT mode and 4K drive for this card. Does anyone have any experiance with the LSI 9211 or IBM M1015 or this Dell and any 4K drives? I just need it to work until I can get some 12GB HBA's later on. TIA.
I use 4k 12TB disks on one of my systems equipped with LSI SAS2008 chipset HBAs (LSI 9211-8i) and they work just fine -- see 'BANDIT' in 'my systems' below. You should have success with an H310, since it's based on the same chipset.

You'll want to install the version 20.00.07.00 firmware, if you haven't already.