Solar Panel For Home Server Rack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modi

Dabbler
Has anyone played around with solar panels at all for a home server rack setup?
Was curious if adding this onto it could help lower an electricity bill at all for less energy efficient equipment.
Of course the best way is to just switch to more energy efficient equipment, but where's the fun in that?

I know there are caveats, such as the sun not always being out. So this would have to be tied into with the main electrical. How would this work? Would it HAVE to be done by setting up the solar panels throughout the entire house?
Is this even plausible for a server setup? Does anyone here have solar, and has had success with it?

Evertb1

Guru
I know there are caveats,
Like the possibility for accidents if you don't leave toying around with electricity to professionals? You would be better of to find a site dedicated to solar energy and how it can be used in a household.

modi

Dabbler
Like the possibility for accidents if you don't leave toying around with electricity to professionals? You would be better of to find a site dedicated to solar energy and how it can be used in a household.
It's not that uncommon (at least in America) now for people to have full house solar panels.

Evertb1

Guru
It's not that uncommon (at least in America) now for people to have full house solar panels.
The world is a bit bigger then America, it's not the centre of the universe. In my part of the world (the Netherlands) solar panels are most certainly not uncommon. Solar panels are a growing business in Europe and the rest of the world. In fact I have 12 of them on my roof. But installing them and the other needed equipment like the inverter and the integration in your electrical installation is not for everybody. And I stay with my statement that you are on the wrong site for knowledge about this subject.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have to agree with @Evertb1 that this isn't the best forum for this discussion. Even if there are some here (like me) who have done such a thing on a DIY basis, there are a lot of moving pieces, and a number of ways to make a less-than-safe installation if you get something wrong. Here's a thread on a different forum describing my installation:

...and that forum would probably be a good place to address your questions.

I know there are caveats, such as the sun not always being out.

It's sold back to your power/utility company (either at full kWh price or a fraction of your kWh fee). You're still using line voltage from the power company 24/7. Hence, why you won't have interruptions at night or cloudy days.

The savings are calculated as such:
monthly kWh usage fee + monthly fee towards paying off your solar equipment - kWh fee produced by your panels = hopefully a net drop in your monthly bills

(Concerning battery-backups, they're meant for emergencies, such as blackouts or powerline failures. However, they're not designed to run central HVAC or other high-load equipment.)

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
Here's a thread on a different forum describing my installation:
@danb35 As I stated I don't think this is the correct forum for a discussion about solar panels. But I visited your post on the DIY Solar Power Forum. And just to satisfy my curiosity I reacted on your post there. I have seen it is some time ago that somebody reacted on it but maybe you can spare a minute.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've responded there, as you've seen. @modi, that forum tends to be interested in systems with battery backup/storage--not necessarily off-grid completely, but at least with some off-grid capability. If you're looking for a grid-tied application, you may find that another forum would be a better match.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Concerning battery-backups, they're meant for emergencies, such as blackouts or powerline failures. However, they're not designed to run central HVAC or other high-load equipment.
That depends on the design of the system. In many cases (including mine), they're sized to run the entire system load on a regular basis. In many places, the net-metering rules aren't all that favorable, so it's better to store the excess energy from the panels and use it when they aren't generating, or maybe there are other reasons to want a substantial battery backup system. There are lots of ways to design a solar system--but once again, it's probably better to discuss those somewhere else.

Evertb1

Guru
I've responded there, as you've seen.
Yes. Thanks for that. I always like to learn how things are done elsewhere. Back to TrueNAS :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.