Hey there,

I have a question about snapshots.

This is my situation:

I have one pool with two datasets:

homeone (pool)
backup (dataset)
storage (dataset)
iocage (dataset)

on the homeone pool I have 3 snapshots tasks (first snapshot holds everything for a week, second for 6 months, third for a year) and one replication task.

My problem is now that the within Backup dataset the server creates a backup every night and uses a lot of space. I wouldn't need the snapshots in this backup dataset, as the backup software of the two servers keeps their own backups for specific time frames.

In order to free up some space, I was wondering if I simply can exclude the backup dataset from the two snapshots that hold the data for 6 months and year?
Will that automatically free the space that is hold by the backup dataset that is older then a week?

Kind regards,
Tobi

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Will that automatically free the space that is hold by the backup dataset that is older then a week?
To free the space, you must delete the snapshot. Under snapshot management, you can delete snapshots by dataset. There is a search feature that makes finding the snapshot easier.
I was wondering if I simply can exclude the backup dataset from the two snapshots that hold the data for 6 months and year?
Just change those snapshots to be only of the storage dataset instead of snapshots of the whole pool.