SMT: enabled or disabled?

Halcy0n

Cadet
Hi all!
Let me preface this by stating I did search on the forums for anything similar to my question and could not find anything. If there is another post about this I apologize. I may just be blind.

I am trying to determine if it is better to have SMT enabled or disabled for Truenas Scale.
I have read various posts on different websites that explain use cases for SMT.
primarily that SMT enabled will usually provide more processing "power" due to the way it can schedule on logical CPU cores.
while SMT disabled provides better latency in CPU response due to the reduced overhead of that extra scheduler. in addition to being more stable at higher clock speeds.
e.g. my dual x5660 system will run all core at 3.0 - 3.1Ghz with SMT enabled, but will run 3.2 - 3.4 all core with SMT disabled.
from the Truenas documentation I understand that fewer faster cores is better, and given that I am not using plugins or VMs I do not believe the extra cores will make much of a difference.
Further, the system that I am using as a base is an Isilon x200 that I have installed Truenas on.
This device was originally designed as an accelerator for a larger SAN environment and it came with SMT disabled by default. leading me to believe that it would be better to have SMT disabled.

Does anyone have any information regarding which setup would be ideal, or links to other posts or articles I can use to better understand this issue?
Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

(details on my setup should apear in my signature. this is my first post, apologies if the signature doesn't work. I will correct it ASAP if not.)

Halcy0n

Cadet
in case anyone is wondering it does not appear that the very slightly reduced latency provided by disabling SMT has any meaningful benefit to Truenas.
might as well have as many "cores" as your hardware supports.