Graphics or not?

Gamix

Cadet
Hello,

I'm sure you've seen this question a lot already and I've read those posts. The problem is that some people say yes and some say no.
So, I am in the process of building a NAS and I was wondering If I needed integrated graphics in it.

I plan to install a TrueNAS Scale and use it for :

- Storage (SMB)
- Plex
- Gaming servers (minecraft and something else - max: 2 simultaneously)

So, obviously I'm looking for at least 16GB RAM and at least a CPU with 4 or 6 cores with SMT. The problem is that I've heard people says that I need graphics for Plex and transcoding but I've read here that Plex only needs a good CPU because Plex auto-transcode.

Can someone tells me finally if I need a CPU with integrated graphics.

Arwen

MVP
Most system boards will require graphics for a console, and some won't even boot unless their is a graphics card. (Most "server" style system boards will include very light weight graphics in the IPMI remote management device.)

You can save yourself future headaches by including integrated graphics (as a default) for your home NAS server. It's straight to the point, and you can configure (and reconfigure) the system (BIOS/UEFI) settings, by plugging in any spare monitor. It also allows you to view the on-screen console messages for pre-boot troubleshooting. (Once again, only requiring a spare monitor.)

sfatula

Guru
My media management strategy is that I only use clients that allow me to never transcode. This eliminates the "need" for the graphics card. But I am using a server board with IPMI. I certainly did not want to hassle with moving a screen to where my computer is just to do some changes. IPMI much nicer.

It's the internet though, so you will always get yes and no answers!

Fleshmauler

Explorer
If you're going to have (for example as you mentioned in your post) 4 cores & you are dedicating 1 core to the OS, 2 (1 each) to a vm/server, and then a single core for plex transcoding, then you will have a bad time. While Plex can transcode using the CPU, it does hit the CPU pretty hard.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
But why live transcode at all? I bring all my media into a format all my devices can play and throw the result on my NAS. Handbrake works great.