Nvidia Graphics Card Driver Upgraded w/Cobia

Hi everyone,

TrueNAS Cobia uses an upgraded NVDIA driver, and the graphics card I use for my transcoding in Jellyfin is no longer supported.

The new version of the driver really cut a lot of the frequently-used cheap transcoding cards out - see list here: (https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/208735/en-us/).

Two questions:

1) Is there any hope that we'll be allowed to downgrade to previous NVIDIA graphics drivers in the near future? Cobia really leaves behind a niche for which TrueNAS was a sweet spot (ie. Jellyfin/Plex folks who use the NVIDIA P400/P600 cards as an inexpensive transcoding solution). I know that there have been a number of people asking about this through the years, but I've never seen a definitive "yes" or "no".

2) In the list of supported architectures in the link I posted above - what would be the cheapest option?

Related: I've got to kind of make a decision at this point about how to proceed. I moved to Cobia, which upgraded my apps/kubernetes, so I can no longer go back to BlueFin. I think the step that was just made in the driver is going to result in either dropping $150 on a used card to continue with TrueNAS Cobia, or a look at other home-grown solutions. For sure, TrueNAS needs to move forward with drivers, and it's entirely my fault that I didn't properly go through the Cobia driver levels to make sure my hardware was still supported - but here we are. I'd absolutely LOVE a "use at your own risk" option to be able to downgrade the nvidia drivers as a fallback option, if it's something we can do.

joace

Dabbler
From the link you posted, I guess you're looking at data center nvidia driver, the consumer driver has a same version - 535.54.03 which still have a lot old GPU supported.

rizoid

Cadet
I mad an account just to say I am also having this unfortunate issue. I was using an old gtx 1060 to transcode in jellyfin and after the upgrade to Cobia it no longer functions. I am currently looking to migrate my zfs pool and use a different OS for my home nas. This is unfortunate for me but I do understand that updates have to happen and the card I am using is getting old.

joace

Dabbler
I mad an account just to say I am also having this unfortunate issue. I was using an old gtx 1060 to transcode in jellyfin and after the upgrade to Cobia it no longer functions. I am currently looking to migrate my zfs pool and use a different OS for my home nas. This is unfortunate for me but I do understand that updates have to happen and the card I am using is getting old.
1060 is definitely supported by the driver picked up in Cobia, the current issue may be just an open bug in 23.10.0.1, hope it will be fixed in 23.10.1, as mentioned by another guy in a different thread.

rizoid

Cadet
Unfortunately the bug makes scale unusable for me. I've already migrated my pools and apps to fedora server. Without my gpu in jellyfin it was maxing my CPU whenever I watched anything and 4k stuff barely played.