smbd crashed (FreeNAS 9.10.2-U5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTacoChief

Explorer
I had smbd crash this evening. It did not automatically restart or send a report email like it did with the issue in 9.10.2-U4. The result was the server could be pinged, but could not connect to network shares in Windows. After about 4 days of uptime.

I checked /var/log/messages and found this:

Jun 13 23:10:26 nas kernel: Failed to write core file for process smbd (error 14)
Jun 13 23:10:26 nas kernel: Failed to write core file for process smbd (error 14)
Jun 13 23:10:26 nas kernel: pid 92231 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6

Manually stopped/started SMB from the web interface and got this output:

Jun 14 00:41:18 nas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Jun 14 00:41:18 nas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jun 14 00:41:18 nas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jun 14 00:41:31 nas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: OK
Jun 14 00:41:31 nas notifier: Starting nmbd.
Jun 14 00:41:31 nas notifier: Starting smbd.
Jun 14 00:41:31 nas notifier: Starting winbindd.

This is on the main machine in my signature.

MasterTacoChief

Explorer
Once you restarted, could clients connect?
Yes, all clients (Windows 7 and 10) were able to reconnect after the service was manually restarted.

I also got notification of the failure (the messages above) in the daily security email this morning.

D

dlavigne

This was supposed to be fixed in U5: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/24342. If it is not, please create a new ticket at bugs.freenas.org that includes your debug (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) and post the new issue number here. Note that your ticket will be hidden from other users until the dev gets the info he needs from the debug and then deletes the debug.

Martin K.

Cadet
I'm getting the same or a similar crash. Manually restarting the smb service works for me as well. Is there a bug report already? If not, I'll create one, the next time it happens.

D

dlavigne

Does this still occur on 11.0-U1? If so, please create a bug report and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.