SOLVED SMB1 lost on clients with 12.0-U6 Fresh install

Paul5

Contributor
I have a working FN 11.3 Upgraded to 12.0-U6 that is working with SMB1 Media Clients.

The problem is with the test PC with fresh 12.0-U6 Install, I also tried U6.1 I cannot for the life of me see 'WORKGROUP' > 'FREENAS' on the media players. The W11 and W10 PC's are fine, but they don't use SMB1. I cannot get SMB1 to work on TN12 fresh installs.

I have copied the settings from the upgrade one and it still doesn't work. See image.
I have updated the U6 to U6.1 and it still doesn't work.
I have tried every setting I can think and nothing.
I have fresh installed again of U6 and Uploaded the Upgraded 11.3 to 12.0-U6s config that works and it failed as well.

SMB Missing.jpg

Below is the output of 'testparm -s'

Code:
root@truenas[~]# testparm -s
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        aio max threads = 2
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        client NTLMv2 auth = No
        disable spoolss = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        enable web service discovery = Yes
        kernel change notify = No
        load printers = No
        logging = file
        max log size = 5120
        nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
        ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted
        registry shares = Yes
        restrict anonymous = 2
        server min protocol = NT1
        server role = standalone server
        server string = TrueNAS Server
        idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        directory name cache size = 0
        dos filemode = Yes

[test]
        ea support = No
        kernel share modes = No
        path = /mnt/SysDataSet/test/
        posix locking = No
        read only = No
        vfs objects = streams_xattr noacl aio_fbsd
        nfs4 : chown = true
root@truenas[~]#

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Please restart the SMB service. Enabling SMB1 requires a restart of Samba to take effect. Also under Network->Global Configuration, enable the checkbox for NetBIOS to turn on the browsing service.

Paul5

Contributor
Please restart the SMB service. Enabling SMB1 requires a restart of Samba to take effect. Also under Network->Global Configuration, enable the checkbox for NetBIOS to turn on the browsing service.
It's auto start as I have also manually started it dozens of times including multiple reboots. NetBIOS-NS is also checked as in the screen shot above.

Paul5

Contributor
I HAVE TO VENT!

Problem: 'WORKGROUP' not visible on SMB1 clients using test PC and working with one restricted share. The share works fine in Windows but no Workgroup on SMB1 Clients.

Hours and hours and hours of failure, installs and re-installs and going back to 11.3-U1 that should have worked and failed. Even failed on another PC but I stayed on 11.3 for I know it can work. 12.0-UX is new.

Momentary solution discovered on 11.3-U1: After all else failed: ticked 'Allow Guest Access and Only Allow Guest Access', then restarted SMB for it to show up

Eureka!!! I have a clue, not how I want it but something.

New problem: Share no longer available on Windows clients. By default windows has 'Guest Access' Disabled, so not allowed.

Solution: Created a Dummy_Share on the wanted shares parent 'Pool' with 'Allow Guest Access and Only Allow Guest Access' then disabled 'Browsable by network clients' This allows SMB1 Clients and Windows Clients access without having to 'Allow Guest Access' on any Windows clients.

Contradiction to solution: Eventually when there is a 'Media' share as in my working Freenas the dummy share is not necessary. The contradiction is that on my working Freenas I can access my 'Media' share from the same Windows clients that don't have 'Allow Guest Access', I think....Don't care, it works for the moment!

Outcome: Dummy_share allows SMB1 clients to see the 'WORKGROUP' > 'FREENAS' and wanted restricted share in this case, as it also allows Windows clients to access the same restricted share without having to allow 'Guest Access' on Windows clients.

What a F#$%@*&^%$#@^%^$$#$#%$$##@#$%%^^&^%$##$#%$%%^&**(&%#@#$^*(^$@@!#$%%ING Nightmare more than 12 hours on and off on this CR$%#$%$^^%$^^^%%P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notes for TrueNAS 12.0-UX SMB1 'WORKGROUP' visibility on dumb clients:

1-Must have a share with 'Allow Guest Access' TN 12.0 does not have 'Only Allow Guest Access' any more.
2-Network > Global Configuration > NetBIOS-NS ticked.
3-Services > SMB > Enable SMB 1 Support and NTLMv1 Auth ticked.
4-Shell #testparm -s and confirm that 'client min protocol is NT1'

In all cases I manually restart SMB service after any SMB related services even if it does it automatically.

The one setting that I had no need to use is the one/two settings that broke it. Insert three pages of cursing!!!!!

Last edited: