SMB with Windows ACLs + Syncthing : permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

emarj

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble to correctly set up permissions on SMB shares also used, on host, by Syncthing.
I read the documentation, I watched the two videos by m0nkey and searched on the forum. But I cannot wrap my mind about how to set permissions to get everything working. Syncthing is installed (as a plugin) in a jail running is a special user mapped as user syncthing on host and Syncthing folder are set to ignore permissions.

What I want
My situation is the following:
- 2 users: user1, user2
- 3 smb shares: share1, share2, shared
- I want share1 and share2 to be private to user1 and user2 respectively. Shared to be shared between the two
- I want user syncthing to have full access over all these datasets

What I've done
If I had only to deal with posix clients, I think would be able to set everything correctly using appropriate groups and setgid flag on folders. The problem arise when using ACLs.

Following m0nkey's videos, I created 3 groups: user1group, user2group and users. userx is in userxgroup and also in users. syncthing user is in all groups.
Then I set all datasets with Windows permission, owner nobody and owner group user1group, user2group and users respectively.
Then, via a Windows 10 terminal, I verified that smb permissions for user1 and user2 were ok.

The problem
But Syncthing now says permission denied. Since the user syncthing is part of all groups, by unix permissions and by ACLs should be able to write. The funny fact is that from host (not from jail) I can write in the folder.

I really don't understand what's going on. Is it possible to achieve what I want?

I'm tempted to switch to Unix permissions and let windows client sync only via Syncthing.

This post could also be inserted in plugins section, but since it's more related to permissions I think this is the more appropriate section. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken.

Thanks in advance

Using things on FreeNAS that rely on UNIX permissions with windows permissions set is a pain. I ended up just switching to UNIX permissions as I am more worried about having the jails work correctly than windows being able to lock files. 99% of what I do on the FreeNAS is from my computer with only two people in the household actually using it, compared to my use directly it is a drop in the bucket compared to the multiple jails.

mjb2000

Cadet
The problem
But Syncthing now says permission denied. Since the user syncthing is part of all groups, by unix permissions and by ACLs should be able to write. The funny fact is that from host (not from jail) I can write in the folder.

Thanks for your write-up @emarj I am having the exact same problem and I have done the same tests as you... I noticed that if I manually add the syncthing user (as a user) to the ACL in Windows that the jail can access the dataset correctly. But if I only give a group which syncthing is a member of to the ACL then the FreeNAS syncthing user has the correct permissions, but the syncthing user within the jail does not.

This seems strange, did you ever find a solution? Do you think it's worth reporting as a bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.