SMB v1 doesn't seem to work after upgrading to U2

ravensorb

Dabbler
I know this has been discussed over and over :) That said, I am not able to get it working. In U1, I was able to set the system tunable and everything worked. When I upgraded to U2, this no longer worked.

Here is my tunables

1588016144259.png

I also tried setting the min protocol in the SMB service

1588016247578.png

Is there some other magic setting I am missing? :)

Note: The reason I need this to work is that I have several embedded systems running Windows CE and XP Embedded (so upgrading is not possible)

jlpellet

Patron
Tunables should not be needed. As shown in the attached, from the GUI, Services > SMB > Edit, check the box, save, then restart SMB service (may not be needed but I always do after a change). Hope this helps.
John

Attachments

• smb1.jpg
    smb1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 172

ravensorb

Dabbler
Thanks! That said, my bad for not including that screenshot too in the original post.

1588338646349.png

Even with that - still no luck.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You can check current running configuration by running the following command
Code:
root@freenas[/mnt/dozer/freenas/src/middlewared]# midclt call smb.getparm "min protocol" global 

NT1

I have "enable_smb1" set:
Code:
root@freenas[/mnt/dozer/freenas/src/middlewared]# midclt call smb.config
{"id": 1, "netbiosname": "freenas", "netbiosname_b": "truenas-b", "netbiosalias": [], "workgroup": "HOMEDOM", "description": "FreeNAS Server", "enable_smb1": true, "unixcharset": "UTF-8", "loglevel": "MINIMUM", "syslog": false, "localmaster": true, "guest": "nobody", "admin_group": null, "filemask": "", "dirmask": "", "smb_options": "", "zeroconf": false, "ntlmv1_auth": false, "bindip": [], "cifs_SID": "S-1-5-21-1651232507-1463021771-3103063853", "netbiosname_local": "freenas"}

ravensorb

Dabbler
Thanks for the suggestion -- it does show the NT1 is the min protocol. This issue is all clients that are expecting SMB1 are failing as of the upgrade which is what seems odd

Code:
# midclt call smb.getparm "min protocol" global
NT1

# midclt call smb.config

{"id": 1, "netbiosname": "FREENAS1", "netbiosname_b": null, "netbiosalias": [], "workgroup": "MYHOME", "description": "FreeNAS Server", "enable_smb1": true, "unixcharset": "UTF-8", "log
level": "FULL", "syslog": false, "localmaster": false, "guest": "media", "admin_group": "MYHOME\\domain admins", "filemask": "", "dirmask": "", "smb_options": "", "zeroconf": true,
 "ntlmv1_auth": true, "bindip": [], "cifs_SID": "S-1-6-21-1691157895-2129824241-3496991655", "netbiosname_local": "FREENAS1"}

ravensorb

Dabbler
I think I am getting somewhere -- I installed a stand alone Windows 10 AND Windows XP client computer and both of them are experiencing the issue.

Current Setup
  • Freenas Server is connected to a home domain (Active Directory on a Windows Server 2016 machine)
  • Freenas is setup with 1 zvol with 1 dataset configure as an SMB share type
  • SMB share called "home" is setup with ACL set to "HOME' and "group" set to "HOMEDOMAIN\domain users" and is setup
    "home share"
  • Client Computer A: is in a workgroup
  • Client Computer B: is on the domain "HOMEDOMAIN"
  • AD has an account for "testUser1" and "testUser2"
Test 1:
  • Map a drive to \\freenas\HOMEDOMAIN\testUser1 to drive U: (this completed successfully)
  • Attempt to browse to U: drive -- this FAILS
Test 2:
  • Map a drive to \\freenas\HOMEDOMAIN\testUser1 to drive U: (this completed successfully)
  • Attempt to browse to U: drive -- this succeeds
Test 3:
  • Attempt to browse to U: drive -- this FAILS

Prior to U2 - test 1 and 3 worked without issue (and it should as it is a valid use case for non domain computers)

Note: test 1 and 3 work without issue if I connect to a share on windows computer that is on the domain (a windows based file server)

At this point this may not be a SMB v1 issue -- could it be caused by something else? Or are we looking at a bug here?

Last edited:

ravensorb

Dabbler
Any thoughts on this? Am I looking at it wrong?

Note: This is causing all non domain joined computers to no longer be able to access shares and if I roll back freenas versions it does start working.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I think you have a domain trust issue. Your domain needs to trust the standalone workgroup, and should also have SMBv1 enabled.

ravensorb

Dabbler
A "trust" issue with a workgroup? Thats a new one to me -- can you point me to anything that talks about this?

Note: I am wondering if i need to open a new issue as I don't think this is an SMB1 issue -- this is an SMB issue in general. I can confirm that if I go back to U1 everything works normally. I can also say with 100% confidence that this is not an issue with ubuntu servers that are accessed by windows clients and is not an issue with non-domain windows clients accessing domain servers.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What happens if you add Aux parameter map to guest = Bad User to the SMB service? (BTW, the default is now map to guest = Never.)

Apollo

Wizard
I believe the issue is having Guest enabled on the share when Windows doesn't recognize the connection without a signed sertificate.
I think enabling the share to be user specific without group access will work. Otherwise there is a settings in Windows so it ignores untrusted shares.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
SMB homes shares are a special type of share. The share path is dynamically generate ex: /mnt/tank/homes/%D/%U where %D is domain name and %U is username. The share name is also dynamically generated as both "HOMES" or "USERNAME" of currently authenticated user. It's impossible for "user1" to access the home share of "user2".