SOLVED Win7 stopped connecting to shares after updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeVic

Cadet
I am posting this because I could not find or I missed a similar thread regarding this issue.

Recently upgraded FreeNAS to 9.10.2-U5 from -U2 around June 17th.
I also applied updates to my Windows 7 box on June 17th.
Windows 7 stopped connecting to share but my Windows 10 box had no problem.
Error: "The specified network password is not correct"
Since Win10 worked must be a FreeNAS, Win 7 thing.

Did a lot of searching and checking of settings.

Eventually, checking /var/log/samba4/log.smbd showed "NTLMv1 passwords NOT PERMITTED for user myname"

A lot of now outdated information I found about the password error has you:

1. Click Start ---> Run --> secpol.msc
2. Browse to the following path: Local Policies --> Security Options --> Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication
3. Change NTLM2 responses only to LM and NTLM - use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated

I checked this when I had first run into a few threads about this and my computer settings had already been changed.

Changed this setting back to "NTLM2 responses only" and my Windows 7 connected to FreeNAS.

More info:

I am assuming the error originated because of the FreeNAS upgrade to Samba 4.5+ or maybe something in MS security updates in reference to vulnerabilities with SMBv1 caused the issue.
I did find later in this thread on the forums about XP breaking:
Update from 9.10.2-U1 to 9.10.2-U2 breaks XP https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/update-from-9-10-2-u1-to-9-10-2-u2-breaks-xp.51260/

One fix was to "Adding ntlm auth = yes to "Auxiliary parameters" seems to do the trick."

I did not test this option.

I hope this information helps someone and corrects an old setting that should probably not be used anymore.
Thanks,
Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.