SMB shares contain different files between Windows/Linux

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Hey everyone,
i just realize really weird behaviour of my samba shares to different OS.

On my Odroid C2 (something like a RasPi) is running LibreElec with KODI. Last night i copied new content to my homeserver-share, to access it by SMB on my Kodi.
But the Odroid Libreelec / KODI is showing in the file-manager only 2418 files, instead of in total 2530 files, which definately exist in the folder on my FreeNAS machine ( In short: In Folder X exist 2530 subfolders, Kodi says there exist only 2418 subfolders).

So i thought, that it might be a limitation of Libreelec / Kodi to 2418 subfolder/folder and i need to start to split the subfolders in two folders (that in one folder are maximum 2000 subfolder). So i did and copied for testing ten folders to a new folder on the same share.

Now is following sitation existing:
- On different Windows-Machines i can see the new folder with the ten subfolders
- On my Android-Smartphone i can see the new created folder, but it says, that in this folder is NO content (also it just recognizes 322 folders, instead of 2530 in the main-folder).
- On my Odroid Libreelec / KODI it shows the new created folder, but says that in this folder is NO content

My first thought was, that maybe just the SMB-service of FreeNAS hang up. So i restarted it, without success. Then i rebooted the whole machine - no success.
But i definately have permissions to the shares & folders and can also open the existing files.

Do you have further ideas, how to fix it? At the moment i cannot access any new content on my new share from my Odroid or Smartphone. On three independent Windows-machines is everything perfectly fine.

Brgds

ThomasHall

Dabbler
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but do you have any characters beyond normal ASCII in the names of files or folders? I actually just made a thread about issues with character encoding in SMB shares, and during my attempts to solve it I ran into one configuration of the dos/unix charset of the SMB share where if I ran ls on a directory mounted over SMB in the FreeNAS shell, it'd show me an empty directory if any of the files inside had anything beyond 128-bit ASCII in their name. This behavior was different depending on where I did it. The share would behave one way on W10, one way on FreeNAS, and another on the NAS326 where the file in question was stored locally.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but do you have any characters beyond normal ASCII in the names of files or folders? I actually just made a thread about issues with character encoding in SMB shares, and during my attempts to solve it I ran into one configuration of the dos/unix charset of the SMB share where if I ran ls on a directory mounted over SMB in the FreeNAS shell, it'd show me an empty directory if any of the files inside had anything beyond 128-bit ASCII in their name. This behavior was different depending on where I did it. The share would behave one way on W10, one way on FreeNAS, and another on the NAS326 where the file in question was stored locally.

Hey Thomas,
thank you for your idea. I just tried, if it was maybe that behaviour due to file / folder-names with special characters, but no success.
I just renamed one folder to ABC, mounted completely new the share and my Android-Smartphone still says, that there is no folder existing. Windows says, yes, here are ten folders existing.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
No one further ideas to this behaviour?

Windows 10: All folders are shown
Nextcloud (with mounted SMB share): All folders are shown
Android: Only ~300 folders are shown
Kodi (Libreelec / Android): Only 90% of the folders are shown

Is there any configuration i need to change on the server? They are all using the same share. Tried already all SMB Levels (1-3), no change.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Hey dlavgine,
no, no success yet. No special characters, like ä,ö,ü, extremely long filenames etc.
Tried with different SMB versions (1,2,3) and other charsets...Do you have further ideas for a solution?

Like i said, on Windows Machines i see the complete content of the folder, also in Nextcloud, just an Linux / Android not.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Were you able to determine the cause for this?

I found out some more details.
Settings under services:
As always, just the Administrator Group is Martin, as well as the Owner for the dataset is Martin

Now i gave on Windows Explorer ACL's to the whole mounted dataset (consequently all subfolders). But when i create a subfolder, the ACL permissions i gave to this dataset, are not hand-overed to the new folder. So i need to go in the Windows Explorer in the tab "Security" and add for this folder again the Public Group (because until then only Martin can see and access the files).
That's weird behaviour or do i have a wrong setting somewhere, that avoid to hand-over ACL to all new folders & files?

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Hello, similar issue, this is what I posted in 2018:

I'm on FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE, sharing datasets via NFS. I follow the instructions, and "everything works": I can access the mounts via windows10 explorer, have permissions, etc. The only real issue I have is with character encoding.

Some of my files on the NAS have accents like ó õ è, etc. Via console-ssh on the NAS they display correctly, FTP is not a problem, but I would like to manipulate these through Windows (copy/cut/paste/rename) to better organize stuff, but I'm apprehensive about doing so because of this. Files appear garbled like in this example: "Téstã" = "hósjè" via the win10 NFS client.

I think this is a win client issue, when I create the opposite via windows, it's garbled on the NAS, but I can't find a solution for it.

After I posted this I noticed that some files would indeed appear/not appear differently on several connected machines: android, windows, even linux. This extends way beyond SMB.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Were you able to determine the cause for this?

Still having problems with the content and access to shares.

First, here are my current ACL, which i set with my Windows 10 Professional Laptop:
ACLBackupMartin.JPG

By those ACL, User "Martin" and User "BackupMartin" should have full access (Vollzugriff) to all files, right?

Here is, how User "Martin" is seeing the files:
M.JPG

Here is, how User MartinBackup is seeing the content of this dataset:
BM.PNG

Much content is completely invisible. That shouldn't be the case or?

I was setting the ACL for the whole dataset. Mounted drive -> Sharing -> ACL Settings -> Set the "Full access ACL" for both users.
It was already the problem with FreeNAS 10.2 and now also with 10.3.

Do you / does anyone has further ideas? I don't know anymore, how to solve this permanently.