SMB Share - Cannot write files

yestergearpc

Cadet
Fresh Install today, planning to copy all my files from an older FreeNAS installation on another machine:

Hardware: 32-Core Opteron Server running Proxmox.
VM running TrueNAS-13.0-U1.1 with 4 cores, 16GB RAM, 32gb VirtSCSI and 3x WD 12TB Datacenter drives passed through.

Created Pool Opteron_NAS, and is 21.68TB Free.

Created SMB Share - want to access with guest account for full read/write on all files on NAS. NAS is LAN only, no outside access. Everything set default except checked "Allow Guest Access", and went into services and enabled SMB1 because I have retro machines that need to connect as well.

Connecting from Pop! OS 21.04 - I can connect to the share from network browser, it asks for credentials, and I state Anonymous. I cannot write any files to the share. I used the TrueNAS console, went to the share location, ran "touch test.txt" and was able to copy that file off the share just fine.

I can access my FreeNAS install just fine (FreeNAS-11.2-U5) - and read/write all files with same authentication.

My major question is what changed with the SMB setup between Freenas 11.2 and TrueNAS 13.0, as I configured them as identically as possible.

homer27081990

Patron
Check the write permissions for the owning group and user in the dataset ACL. If the guest account you use is in the same group as the owning account and not the owner, the group needs full permissions.

yestergearpc

Cadet
Check the write permissions for the owning group and user in the dataset ACL. If the guest account you use is in the same group as the owning account and not the owner, the group needs full permissions.
When I go to the Pool, tap the 3 dots, Permissions is greyed out, and it states "Root Dataset Permissions cannot be Edited". If I'm doing it wrong, I did it wrong last time on FreeNAS and it worked anyway lol. - On my FreeNAS 11 box, doing the same, Permissions is not greyed out, and that is the point you can select the user for Guest access permissions - so I've found my failure point - obviously you can't edit root-owned pools on 13, so how do I fix that?

enjoywithme

Dabbler
My problem is strange. If windows 10 client was restarted, the shared folder from truenas-scale cannot be written again. I have to restart samba service as well as disable/enable the shared folder on TrueNAS, then the shared folder comes to be writable on windows 10.

NugentS

MVP
@enjoywithme Please post your own thread.
However I can tell you that the problem you are experiencing is that you have no hardware that is running TrueNAS.
[Post, in new thread, your hardware config as per forum rules]