SMB permission issues with nested datasets

Agent92

Explorer
I ran into an issue when I was adding a second user that was going to access a dataset over SMB. My setup is the following:

Datasets:
- parent
- - child

The SMB share is for the dataset called child. Owner and group for both datasets are set to the same, for instance smb1. If I use the user smb1 to connect to the share it works fine, as expected.

If I now create another user, lets call it smb2, and then edit the ACL for the child dataset to add another ACL item where I give the user smb2 full control. If I now try to connect to the SMB share using the smb2 user it just says I don't have permission to do that.

I also tried to change the owner and group of the child dataset to smb2 but that didn't work either, now neither smb1 or smb2 can connect to the share.

So how am I supposed to add more than one user for a SMB share? I could of course create a group and add all the users to that group and then set that group for the parent dataset, that works. But I don't want to do that since I have more than one dataset under parent and I don't want all users to have access to all child datasets.

I have tried this on 11.3-U5 and 12.0-U1.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I ran into an issue when I was adding a second user that was going to access a dataset over SMB. My setup is the following:

Datasets:
- parent
- - child

The SMB share is for the dataset called child. Owner and group for both datasets are set to the same, for instance smb1. If I use the user smb1 to connect to the share it works fine, as expected.

If I now create another user, lets call it smb2, and then edit the ACL for the child dataset to add another ACL item where I give the user smb2 full control. If I now try to connect to the SMB share using the smb2 user it just says I don't have permission to do that.

I also tried to change the owner and group of the child dataset to smb2 but that didn't work either, now neither smb1 or smb2 can connect to the share.

So how am I supposed to add more than one user for a SMB share? I could of course create a group and add all the users to that group and then set that group for the parent dataset, that works. But I don't want to do that since I have more than one dataset under parent and I don't want all users to have access to all child datasets.

I have tried this on 11.3-U5 and 12.0-U1.
smb2 needs TRAVERSE entry on parent.