SMB and GUI Issues with Multi-VLAN-Setup

SofaKingBoring

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

After getting my VLANs setup with the help of THIS thread here, it worked fine for as long as my client stayed in the same VLAN.
As described in the other thread I have 2 VLANs in use currently "Server/101" and "Client/102".
While setting TrueNAS up I used a management client in 101, as I usually do.

So now I have started to use a client from 102 and I'm getting the following strange behaviour:
GUI drops every 1-2 Minutes and shows "waiting for controller to come up" and then returns without having to log in again. So no timeout here.

Even worse is the SMB behaviour: In more or less the same intervall maybe even more often it hangs. So browsing in folders is a huge pain.
Copying files may give the best hint.
Windows explorer shows the "0% copied, preparing copying" window forever. Even for the tiniest file.
In the background the file gets copied and appears after refreshing, but I have to cancel the copy job in the foreground at 0%.

In my router/firewall (OPNsense) ports 80/443 are open.
I have also opened ports 111,137,138,139,445,2049,548 for filesharing, although I won't need a few of those eventually.
It's not a performance issue in OPNsense, or at least not CPU/Mem/Bandwidth.

Currently my client are on the same L2 switch for testing purposes (Unifi Flex Mini) but ports cannot talk to each other and traffic has to go to core switch (USW-24 gen 2, also L2). Behind that sits the firewall.

As soon I am on the same VLAN, everything is working perfectly of course.
Any ideas?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Asymmetric routing?

SofaKingBoring

Dabbler
I did not know the term before since I'm not a professional.
But after a quick read-up this sounds like a promising lead, thanks for that!
Because one thing I failed to mention: A ping never gets interrupted and just runs through, while GUI and SMB "drop". Would fit the description.

I'll report back :smile: .

SofaKingBoring

Dabbler
So after I had read up on it, especially here on the forums, I have decided to simplify my TrueNAS config.
I think it's really a pity that there is no "built-in" way in TrueNAS to seperate WebGUI/Management interface from the other services (e.g. SMB).
I don't want to start another discussion on network stack design, I think there has been plenty, I understand about half of it.

But the consequence for me is that
a) I have to meddle with static routes (and dedicated jump hosts for admin access?), or
b) have to eat the frog that there will be routing between my NAS and my clients. Or
c) put the NAS(including WebGUI) in my client network

Since I will opt for b), in my current set up this means my throughput will drop from 100-115 MB/s to ~80MB/s.
Do I need that throughput badly in my home network? Certainly not.
Am I a bit sad to lose it because of this situation? Absolutely :cool: .

Thanks for the help!
Chris