SMART tests and Scrubs, how to on boot and do we stagger pool drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi All, I'm currently setting up my schedule for SMART tests and Scrubs. I've done a search of the forums but still have a couple of questions:

1. For the zpool, when you run the SMART tests do you run it for all drives at the same time or should you stagger the tests?
  2. For the boot (ada8) device, as there is no option to scrub/run SMART tests via the GUI, do you just create scripts and run it via cron jobs, like the commands below?
i.e.:

Code:
smartctl -t short /dev/ada8
smartctl -t long /dev/ada8
zpool scrub freenas-boot

Cheers.

Jonathan

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
  1. I run all mine at the same time around midnight since the drives should be under as little load as possible when running extended S.M.A.R.T tests, else one will see performance lag.

2. As to boot pool scrubs, I know that's been mentioned in a few threads since FreeNAS went from a live RAM OS to one that actually runs from disks, and if it's not able to be performed through the WebUI, it can be done via script/cli.
For both of the above, I recommend @Bidule0hm's Scripts thread.
  • See the last few pages of the thread for some updated information and script options, such as an updated script to attach the physical backup config file to an email, versus sending the file in it's RAW plaintext form.

danb35

Hall of Famer
when you run the SMART tests do you run it for all drives at the same time
I run them all at the same time.
as there is no option to scrub/run SMART tests via the GUI
You most certainly can configure scrubs of the boot pool via the GUI, though not with as much detail as for other pools. You can set the scrub threshold on the System -> Boot screen.

Hazimil

Contributor
For both of the above, I recommend @Bidule0hm's Scripts thread.

Thanks for your answers, I've previously read that collection of posts, very informative.

You most certainly can configure scrubs of the boot pool via the GUI, though not with as much detail as for other pools. You can set the scrub threshold on the System -> Boot screen.

Ahh, thanks. I completely missed that!

Yours
Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.