Small NAS with different disks ! Safety ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markos

Cadet
Hello ! I started my first 9.2 FreeNAS system setting in ZFS a 2 TB drive with the hope to add more volumes afterwards !I have some noob questions !

1) I need a slight protection of my files but no funds make me have to use a 1 TB disk I have ! Can I mirror part of the ZFS 2 TB stripe ? What can I do ? Is my only way another 2TB disk to mirror them ?
I will lose any data from my existing nearly 75% full ZFS volume ?

Thank you in advance !
Markos

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't add any mirrors to your 2TB that aren't 2TB or bigger. You are always limited to the smallest disk in a vdev. Sinince your vdev already exists you can't add any disks to it that aren't at least 2TB.

Markos

Cadet
So the only solution is make another dev with the 1 TB volume and manually copy ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you add the 1TB as another vdev it becomes part of the pool and you now have 2 disks in 2 separate vdevs.

What I think you are wanting to do is make the 1TB disk its own pool, copy the data to the 1TB disk, destroy the 2TB pool, then add the 2TB disk as a mirror to the 1TB disk. But, keep in mind the pool will only store 1TB of data.

Edit: And you might want to read my noobie guide. ;)

Markos

Cadet
Well , I have 1,8 Tb of data ....... and was thinking to make safe the most important 1 TB of them ....... but as i can see you have no option picking what you want to duplicate !
Thank you for your answers !

no_connection

Patron
Use the 1TB for backup then if you don't already have at least one.

joelmusicman

Patron
Isn't there a way to create a single drive that has checksumming enabled? This would still help avoid the bitrot problem, though performance would suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.