Small/Medium Build for Radio Station

ollyfm

Cadet
Hello TrueNAS!

We are a small radio station currently running a plethora of archaic machines so I am planning to build a TrueNAS based machine as a central storage machine (pushing to cloud backup regularly). I am mainly asking for a little advice on my build, and to confirm it will work for our usage requirements. The majority of my build is pulled straight from Ericloewe's build guide, which I have to say is fantastic. My main concern is the parts being able to perform the job, not the config itself.

The machine will ultimately have three shared drives on it:
1 Data Share - Is a User Data/User Folder mostly containing MP3/WAV audio, word documents, pictures etc. This is around 2TB in size
2 Music Share - Is a share containing a few flat file databases and our entire music library stored as 44,100Hz WAV files along with supporting meta data (in a pk and/or sfk per song). It's possible up to 5 machines will be 'streaming' the WAV files concurrently, but the On Air machine will be doing this 24/7. These machines will also write some data back when importing audio for example. This is around 1.75TB in size.
3 Logs Share - A folder containing around 1,100 MP3 files at 48Kbps Mono written directly to disk as a Log of what is currently being broadcasted. These are split up by hour, every day, so there is never a time a file isn't being written.

It's also likely I will end up setting a few jails up for some smaller programs.

The majority of the parts were easy enough to decide on, I had quite a few problems with the CPU and Motherboard as I cannot source the majority of the recommended models for some weird reason. I am in the UK, I have never had this much trouble before so wondering if its due to COVID.

Case: 2U / 6 x SATA / ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ATX
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F (ideally, but trying to source it is a nightmare)
CPU: Intel Core i3-9100
RAM: Micron MTA18ASF1G72AZ-2G1 x 2
Power: Seasonic Focus GX-550 (is this overkill?)
Disks: 6 x 2TB Seagate IronWolf (would there be much point going for IronWolf Pro?)
System Disk: Likely a 250GB SATA SSD I already have, but wouldn't rule out M.2 if I could find a board I could actually buy that supports it.

Budget is very much a factor here, and to be honest where we are is slightly over. If anyone can see a decent way of getting the price down a little without compromising on performance or reliability I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you don't mind running a used server, look at the Great Deals forum.

Dan Tudora

Patron
helloo
I have not (yet) a radio station, but I have many NAS
question IS WHAT is your need in term of MB/S for that (with some reserve in plus of course)
try to find the need of data/second/minute traffic
after that can make a discuttion about your need

Dan Tudora

Patron
our entire music library stored as 44,100Hz WAV files
hello
that is huge amount of data in RAW/WAV format for a NAS and for another form of storage
must to calculate ferry carefully IOPS and network capabilities to provide 5 sometime and 1 everytime machine with data

ChrisRJ

Wizard
hello
that is huge amount of data in RAW/WAV format for a NAS and for another form of storage
must to calculate ferry carefully IOPS and network capabilities to provide 5 sometime and 1 everytime machine with data
Unless I totally misunderstand something, this seems wrong to me. A WAV file at 44.1 kHz (CD equivalent) is about 1 MB in size per minute of audio, so that is also the amount of data to be transferred for streaming.

@ollyfm , have you looked at used server gear, which is often considerably cheaper and usually just as reliable? Exception here are the drives, which I would buy new. You should check the price of Seagate Exos, which are often cheaper then IronWolf (Pro). They are not suitable for frequent spin-up/down, but that seems to be not relevant for you anyway.