Slow write speed using ZFS with RAID 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumtraveler

Dabbler
I'm getting write speeds of 2.5MB/S over gigabit LAN. Why is it so slow? Surely this can't be correct..?

marcusmarcus

Explorer
What are your system specs? Is your gigabit NIC on your FreeBSD really picking up that it is Gigabit or is it operating at 100MBps? What type of files are you transferring? (I noticed small files, like pictures transfer slower than larger files like movies)

quantumtraveler

Dabbler
Picking up gigabit (from office) transferring large files i.e. > 1GB.. it's weird, I thought it'd be faster but I'm told that ZFS with RAID 5 is the slow. But can it really be that slow? Gonna run more tests from the office tomorrow..

quantumtraveler

Dabbler
Please can I get some help troubleshooting my slow download speed i.e. 2.5 MB/S. Here's my system specs:

1. AMD 1.3 Dual Core with 1GB RAM (HP MicroServer)
2. 3x Seagate Barracude Green 2TB 5400 HDD and 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDD
3. FreeNAS 8.2 with ZFS using RAID-Z
4. Gigabit LAN running at full speed

b1ghen

Contributor
Please can I get some help troubleshooting my slow download speed i.e. 2.5 MB/S. Here's my system specs:

1. AMD 1.3 Dual Core with 1GB RAM (HP MicroServer)
2. 3x Seagate Barracude Green 2TB 5400 HDD and 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDD
3. FreeNAS 8.2 with ZFS using RAID-Z
4. Gigabit LAN running at full speed

Are you just using 1GB of RAM?

b1ghen

Contributor
Yip, will it help significantly on write speed to up it to 4GB..?

I think it might improve drastically, many people run the HP microservers with good results on here, but never heard anyone even attempting it with as little as 1GB of RAM.
ZFS loves RAM, get at least one 4GB module in there and keep the 1GB for a total of 5GB (I think this will work at least), or get two 4GB modules for a total of 8GB and you should be all set.

RAM is cheap as dirt these days (at least the non ECC RAM).

quantumtraveler

Dabbler
Ordered the KTH-PL313E/4G Kingston Memory Module, it arrives tomorrow or next day so will install and update findings here. May just order another module while I'm at it and go 8GB.. thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.