Slow pool to pool transfer speeds

cyrus104

Explorer
After logging in through SSH, when I rsync a large movie (50GB) file from one pool to another pool I get 30-45MB/s. When I try to download any file from either pool via SMB, I get 700MB/s. The any file (test different ones to make sure they were not cached) takes only a few seconds to copy instead of 5 minutes. With the ZFS memory cache working at the ZFS level, I didn't think it would affect an rsync or cp (used time command to test it) differently than an SMB copy.

New install:
CPU: AMD Epyc 7282 (16-core)
RAM: 128GB DDR4 ECC 3200MHz
Network: 10GBe

NVME-Pool
4x Intel P4610 NVME 6.4TB (raidz1) - going to be quick pool for vms, incremental backup daily

SSD-Pool
8x Intel D3-S4610 SATA 1.92TB (4x mirrored vdevs) - similar to NVME-Pool, incremental backup daily

I'm happy to run any tests to help troubleshoot this issue.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
NVME-Pool
4x Intel P4610 NVME 6.4TB (raidz1) - going to be quick pool for vms, incremental backup daily
Using RAIDZ1 will limit the IOPS of that pool to a single NVME disk... not sure you want to throw away 3/4 of your IOPS like that if it's block storage. Have a read of this: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/the-path-to-success-for-block-storage.81165/

After logging in through SSH, when I rsync a large movie (50GB) file from one pool to another pool I get 30-45MB/s.
what do you get with cp ?

cyrus104

Explorer
@sretalla , thanks for your quick reply.

I am using this pool right now but I can temporarily migrate the data off and then convert this to similar to the SSD-pool of being:
2x mirrored vdevs (are they mirrored or stripped vdevs?)
- vdev 1 (mirrored)
--Intel P4610 U.2 6.4TB
--Intel P4610 U.2 6.4TB
- vdev 2 (mirrored)
--Intel P4610 U.2 6.4TB
--Intel P4610 U.2 6.4TB

I understand I will get less space than all of these drives in Raidz1 but reading through the article I should get "double-ish" the IOPS.

I get use
Code:
time cp
to get an idea of how long it takes to copy files from one pool to another.

I have been doing testing with fio but because I need to use ioengine=posixaio versus libaio I get wildly different results than on another system I have locally. The numbers would be relative to this system though.

I don't have a cache drive in yet (have an Intel 905p to install) and when I copy a file from my desktop to either pool I get 1.06GB/s (pretty much the max speed for a 10GBe connection). I thought ZFS only used ram to cache the reads not the writes?

sretalla