Slow data transfer over WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenek

Explorer
Hey guys, my question probably doesn't relate directly to FreeNas. But, I will give a shot.
Recently I moved some web site to VistualBox jail and I noticed that is I use the website over wired connection download speeds are blazing fast.
But if I connect over WIFI (still from inside local network) it is very slow, I'm telling about 100KB/sec.
At the same token, when I receive about 10MB/sec if I copy something over SMB share (as you can tell my client is Windows based).
It doesn't make sense to me, please let me know if any ideas were to look. Thanks.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hey guys, my question probably doesn't relate directly to FreeNAS. But, I will give a shot.
Recently I moved some web site to VistualBox jail and I noticed that is I use the website over wired connection download speeds are blazing fast.
But if I connect over WIFI (still from inside local network) it is very slow, I'm telling about 100KB/sec.
At the same token, when I receive about 10MB/sec if I copy something over SMB share (as you can tell my client is Windows based).
It doesn't make sense to me, please let me know if any ideas were to look. Thanks.
This seems like correct behavior to me. WiFi is not fast no matter what you read on your wifi routers box. If you would like to dig in more you can try to use iperf on the client and on freenas. This will give you the raw throughput over your wifi network.

Tenek

Explorer
Thanks SweetAndLow,
I get that WiFi is slower. But, when I copy the same file via SMB share (over WiFi too) I get about 10Mb/s which is x100 faster then HTML download (100Kb/s).
Apologies, I was not clear in my original post.
ipperf showed 1.5Mb/s. I will keep digging.

Tenek

Explorer
Ok speed is fast when I use bridged network adapter. Not sure why NAT doesn't perform well.
Maybe I hit this one: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15060
I don't think there are any plans to update VirtualBox template to current version?
I would prefer NAT, but I guess I can live with bridged...

Status
Not open for further replies.