Slow cifs. atune,iperf,dd,tried multiple machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

drini

Cadet
Thanks Jock. I'm an idiot. I terminated the cable my self and apparently one of the pins did not get pressed down hard enough. Changed the cable and was transferring a file at 90 mb/s. I feel like an idiot but user error. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hehe. It's all good. Someone inevitably shows up here once a week or so with a 100Mb connection. The question is whether they check their connections, or even realize that they sometimes have a 100Mb router/switch. Quite often it takes several messages to get then to stop and actually look. Glad it only took me repeating myself once. I've decided I just won't ask more than twice for anything anymore. I won't lose any sleep over that slow of a network speed. ;)

Glad you figured it out! Good luck!

drini

Cadet
Yes I asked a noob question and that should have been the first thing I checked. Again thanks for the help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Btw this is powerlan using your power cables, he has WLAN 5GHz and his router is listed at 258.9 MBit max, so yes wireless still sucks to get more than 30Mbyte/s.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/113-5-ghz-dn-c

Does it matter? Both Powerlan and wireless suffer from their own technological problems that will make them NEVER be excellent performers. You should only be using either one when there is no alternative. And you accept any potential performance penalties associated with the technology. I ran my own CAT6 through my rented house because I know neither of those technologies are satisfying if you care about speeds at all.

Those are convenience technologies, nothing more. They will NEVER be performance technologies.

Andy22

Dabbler
Does it matter? Both Powerlan and wireless suffer from their own technological problems that will make them NEVER be excellent performers. You should only be using either one when there is no alternative. And you accept any potential performance penalties associated with the technology. I ran my own CAT6 through my rented house because I know neither of those technologies are satisfying if you care about speeds at all.

Those are convenience technologies, nothing more. They will NEVER be performance technologies.

Nah it doesn't matter just pointing out that WLAN on 5Ghz can reach ~30MB/s, since PowerLAN is often considered faster, while in practice its even worse. The GBit advertisement is kinda misleading on all those products.

Status
Not open for further replies.