Slow backup from TrueNAS and Proxmox Cluster

gKmylo

Cadet
Hello everyone, my apologies in advance for my English, since I am from Chile (Spanish).

First of all I tell you the hardware I have.
- Proxmox VE 7.2-3 in a Cluster with two nodes.
- TrueNAS on Dell R630 server

I have created 3 pools in TrueNAS:
a. 02 600GB SATA drives with RAID1 for TrueNAS operating system.
b. 02 1.2TB SATA drives with RAID1 for SAMBA.
c. 04 1.2TB SATA disks with RAID5 for hosting Proxmox virtual machines.

All RAID are done by DELL hardware.

In the third pool (Point c.) I have created a data set for hosting Proxmox virtual machines and containers. The folder created in that pool is shared with NFS to Proxmox.
I did tests with iPerf and the bandwidth between TrueNAS and Proxmox is 12MB/s as I have a 100Mb Fastethernet network.
When I do a file transfer between these, the transfer speed is around 11MB/s, which is expected. But when I want to make a backup of the virtual machine hosted in the third TrueNAS pool and leave that backup in Proxmox, it goes at a very low speed, around 1.4MB/s, which affects the enormous delay of this backup.

I've searched in several forums, but I can't find a solution to it. Any help would be appreciated in advance.

Cheers!.

NugentS

MVP
"All RAID are done by DELL hardware."

Can you be a bit more specific please?

gKmylo

Cadet
"All RAID are done by DELL hardware."

Can you be a bit more specific please?
Yes of course.
The Dell R630 computer comes with a RAID controller card, so I preferred to RAID the disks from the BIOS (Hardware) and not through TrueNAS (Software). There are 8 discs in total and I detailed them earlier.

I do not know if I explained well.

NugentS

MVP
You may have preferred it - but thats a good way to lose data and a very bad way of running TrueNAS/ZFS
Trash the pool and start again.
Flash the raid card if you can to IT mode - or replace it with a IT mode device
Then rebuild the pool

I suggest you do some more research into TrueNAS and ZFS and how to run it / them before continuing down your current approach

gKmylo

Cadet
You may have preferred it - but thats a good way to lose data and a very bad way of running TrueNAS/ZFS
Trash the pool and start again.
Flash the raid card if you can to IT mode - or replace it with a IT mode device
Then rebuild the pool

I suggest you do some more research into TrueNAS and ZFS and how to run it / them before continuing down your current approach
Thank you very much for the information. I read the document and they clearly indicate that it is a very bad idea to implement RAID through Hardware. So I will make the pools again, making them the TrueNAS Software RAID.

Thank you very much again and I'll let you know how it goes.