Since having connection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teslaman

Cadet
Hi

I have a old computer 8GB Ram NON ECC, Q9550 Core Dual Intel processor 2.66Mhz quad core 12 Mb Cache and 2x8TB NAS Seagate drives, Asus motherboard. Using this build to store data and stream music only. Going to setup mirror both drives for reliability. Is this enough for run FreeNas or should I be looking at Rockstor for NAS as NO ECC memory and minimum requirement specs? Run this build for 2 months with 1 8TB drive and it worked but state says critical and flashing red. Removed data of the drive without errors it seems. I am looking a reliability. Sometimes have problems connecting to NAS, I can log into admin screen but have to reboot the NAS to see the shares working, most likely from low specs of the machine.

Go FreeNAS and reboot from time to time or go Rockstor as plenty of specs for that with room to grow as specs change. Not willing to invest into more hardware.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The lack of ECC is no more a problem with FreeNAS/ZFS than it is with any other OS and filesystem--the emphasis you see on ECC here is a matter of us generally caring more about data integrity than is typical for users of other NAS OSs.

The hardware you mention should be, just barely, enough to run the base FreeNAS OS. If you're having network issues, it'd be a good idea to get an Intel gigabit NIC to use rather than the Realtek that's most likely on your motherboard. But if you want to run plugins (especially Plex), VMs, etc., you should look at either different hardware or a different OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.