Simple trick to improve responsiveness in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelmusicman

Patron
Hello all,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but I was trying to figure out how to stop my Windows 7 box from generating all of those pesky "thumbs.db" files all over my NAS. Yes, I know about "veto" in CIFS settings, but even with veto and delete veto files set, I still had problems deleting empty directories due to hidden thumbs.db files.

Anyway, I traced that issue down to a simple checkbox in Windows, under Control Panel >> Folder options >> View tab >> "Always show icons, never thumbnails," tick the box (enable).

As a side benefit, I found out that the speed gains when browsing and organizing directories on the drive was DRASTICALLY improved. My movies directory used to take about a minute or two to show (with ~1900 subdirectories each with a thumbnail). Now it's practically instant!

Of course, this is a client-side change so unless you're a SYSADMIN in an enterprise environment (If you are you probably already know about this!) you'll have to make the change manually on each PC.

Folder.jpg

Pasquale61

Explorer
Hello all,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but I was trying to figure out how to stop my Windows 7 box from generating all of those pesky "thumbs.db" files all over my NAS. Yes, I know about "veto" in CIFS settings, but even with veto and delete veto files set, I still had problems deleting empty directories due to hidden thumbs.db files.

Anyway, I traced that issue down to a simple checkbox in Windows, under Control Panel >> Folder options >> View tab >> "Always show icons, never thumbnails," tick the box (enable).

As a side benefit, I found out that the speed gains when browsing and organizing directories on the drive was DRASTICALLY improved. My movies directory used to take about a minute or two to show (with ~1900 subdirectories each with a thumbnail). Now it's practically instant!

Of course, this is a client-side change so unless you're a SYSADMIN in an enterprise environment (If you are you probably already know about this!) you'll have to make the change manually on each PC.

View attachment 5623
I did something similar a while back to globally disable the thumbs.db files from being created in the first place. I always hated those files, especially when trying to compare directories because this file constantly changes. I have no use for these thumbnails as I don't use Explorer to view my media, and you're right they really slow things down. You can enable/disable these using Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 7/8 by running gpedit.msc. The settings are under User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer. I think you can also set a separate policy for network folders versus local folders if you want.

joelmusicman

Patron
When I was doing my research courtesy of Google, I did find the gpedit method, and found out that Win 7 Home Premium doesn't have that tool by default. After more searching I found out how to add it and use it, but even after following the steps it didn't seem to help (maybe the workaround is faulty?).

I'm sure with Win 7 Pro the gpedit tool would be the preferred method...

Pasquale61

Explorer
You're right, I have Win 7 Ultimate and it doesn't come pre-installed on all versions. Here is my screenshot in case you're interested. Assuming you got gpedit from Microsoft, I would think yours looks the same. In my case, I only turned the thumbs.db files off. Reading your post, I think I may enable the first two options too!

upload_2014-11-26_12-2-10.png

Last edited:

solarisguy

Guru
I did the same, i.e. doing Enable on Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files, and after mounting a remote share thumbs.db are still getting generated. (Windows 7 Professional. I should be able to reboot that system by Wednesday, may be that is a required step...)

solarisguy

Guru
I did the same, i.e. doing Enable on Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files, and after mounting a remote share thumbs.db are still getting generated. (Windows 7 Professional. I should be able to reboot that system by Wednesday, may be that is a required step...)
Yes, Thumbs.db stopped being generated after a reboot. Just enabling the setting was not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.