Plex jail storage and thumbnail creation strange problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

x838nwy

Cadet
hi all,

FreeNas 11.0 here,

I finally got Plex to work - the plugin works super easy but when I go to add storage to it, I notice the following oddities:

I have mounted my as follows:

a.)
source = /[my SMB share]
destination = /media
Everything works great.

b.)
source = /[my SMB share]
destination = /var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media
Everything works BUT no matter what I do, it would not create thumbnails. Not for photos, movie files, anything.

I can put one file into the SMB share, create in plex two libraries and point each at a different "destinations" one at /media and the other at /var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media and both will show the file, but the latter would not show any thumbnail at all. It'll happily play the movie or show the picture, but no thumbnail.

My SMB share is on a volume with Windows permission type and me as the Owner and a group that contains only myself.
The SMB share is a normal SMB share with "browsable to network clients" but not allowing guest access.

To my noobish mind, this does not seem a "permissions" thing (as the /media one works just fine) but is more of a jails issue?

Anyhow, I'd like to have files in what is default for Plex if possible. Hopefully you learned folks can point me in the right direction. I thank you in advance.

C

my freeNAS specs: i7 2600S, 16Gb RAM, 3x1Tb WD Green HDD.

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
When using a Jail/plug-in, you mount the FreeNAS host media dataset directly inside the jail under Jails > Storage. There is no need to use SMB or NFS. If you are still having problems, you may need to change permissions somewhere. Plex might not have write access.

x838nwy

Cadet
Thank you scrappy. Just to clarify, I am trying to have a folder/thing I can put my files into from my PC, so I've created a dataset (called "Plex_stuff" in the attached picture) and made an SMB share to "Plex_stuff" so I can have access to it from my PC. I then add "Plex_stuff" as a storage for the plex jail (which the plug-in created automatically). Is this the right way of doing it?

From what you're saying, it seems "Plex_stuff" needs to be created inside of the jail dataset? I tried this but I just cannot seem to share it to my PC.

I've attached the current situation. I covered up few items (well actually the words s*it) but the owner and group are basically me and the group just has me in it.

Thank you so much for your time and for responding. Have a great weekend!

Capture_LI.jpg

Capture2_LI.jpg

Capture3_LI.jpg

Capture4_LI.jpg

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you try analysing and scanning the library again? Sometimes thumbnails take some time.

It looks like you have your storage configured correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

x838nwy

Cadet
Did you try analysing and scanning the library again? Sometimes thumbnails take some time.

It looks like you have your storage configured correctly.

Sadly, yes. I analyzed and scanned. It finds the file(s) but in one library (mounted at /media) the thumbnail shows up almost instantly, but in the other (mounted at /var/db/.... ) it just doesn't no matter how many times I scan. (P.s. I tried with a handful of small movie files and photos so nothing Plex might have a problem with etc.).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sadly, yes. I analyzed and scanned. It finds the file(s) but in one library (mounted at /media) the thumbnail shows up almost instantly, but in the other (mounted at /var/db/.... ) it just doesn't no matter how many times I scan. (P.s. I tried with a handful of small movie files and photos so nothing Plex might have a problem with etc.).
Don't put the in /var/db, they should just be in /media. When you make a mount in that path you are messing up all the other directories in that path.

x838nwy

Cadet
Don't put the in /var/db, they should just be in /media. When you make a mount in that path you are messing up all the other directories in that path.

Okay :) i thought to put it in there (var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media) simply because it (Plex) seems to want to look in there, so I thiught it was a "default" thing. Anyhow, it's working normally in /media. Thanls for the help, folks !

odragon

Dabbler
2018-03-16 21_14_06-Dragonfreenas - FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE (dc7d195f4).jpg
2018-03-16 21_14_36-Plex.jpg
I cannot seem to get Plex to see the data I have mounted in the /media directory. for whatever reason it only will look in "/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media/Shows". running Freenas 11.1 and Plex 1.12.0.4829.

F5YQwYt

LIENDar

Status
Not open for further replies.