Shares - Storages - ZFS - Multiple Users - Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKLeader

Cadet
Hi,

I have been for the last 2 days been searching but have not found anything that could solve my problem.

I am runnning FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x86 (9591).

The disk setup is ZFS.

My problem is that I want a few groups that each can have there own folders and shared folders.
Ex :
Groups : Adults, Kids, Guests.
Users : DKLeader
I have tried with ZFS datasets : Pictures, Public, Documents, Kids and Music.
Adults should have access to all.
Kids should have read access to Pictures, Public and Music, but read and write access to Kids.
Guests should have read access to Public.

I added the ZFS dataset "Documents" with user DKLeader and group Adults. In permissions I clicked Read, Write and Execute in Owner and Group.

Once I try to access the folders from my windows machine I get permission error.

I then tried with shares, but still get the same problem.

I have no problem getting it to work with guest in general, but only when I try to split it up.

What guide have I missed or what am I doing wrong.

xbmcg

Explorer
If you are using windows, you can set the windows permissions using the explorer to the sub folders to your needs.
You need then RW to permissions for all to the share and you can lock down kids / public then accordingly to the sub folders.

Be careful if using the "deny" permission on Groups to prevent lockout yourself ;-)

peterh

Patron
What matters here is how you "share" a filesystem, not if it is zfs or ufs or anything else below

Also one must take inte consideration what methods the clients can use, and the benefits of each.

Sharing with nfs needs some userdatabase that connects relations between users names and UID on one hand and between
group named and GID. Then file permissions is expressed as permissions for user/group/others . The userdatabase may be
implemented in freenas or it might be external ( LDAP and with some help NIS)

Sharing with smb is another thing, here one needs userid and groups but also a separate set of ACL's that
enforced the rights . It's mpre elaborate and thus easier to misconfigure, the benefit is that for a windows
client averything is included in the wintendo-box.
As userdatabas samba as delivered in freenas could do ( you have to create users and groups) but these will have
no relations to users in the nfs-world. AD from MS could also be used, and probably ldap too.

A third way of sharing filesystems in freenas is apple AFP which has it's own userdatabase and confiuration.

Now, what type of clients do you intend to use ? And how ( which protocol ) ?

DKLeader

Cadet
Thanks for the ideas and questions.

I must admit I haven't thought of which protocol.
All users are running windows and was hoping that when selecting "Map Network Drive" they could enter the user/password as using different credentials and hereby getting access to the folders that this group member has permission to.

DKLeader

Cadet
I still have this user / group permission issue and CIFS.
The users have no problem when using FTP.

Status
Not open for further replies.