Shares Have Stopped Working Over Night "Permission Denied" Full Panic Mode

taylordude4493

Dabbler
Hello, I have Windows 2016 Domain, Small Network. For some reason Truenas is giving permission denied and asking for credentials. I enter credentials and gives permission denied.

It is joined to my domain, it appears to function in that capacity. DNS is correct, all my normal windows shares work.

I have tried removing and re adding the the share and nothing has worked.

I need help, not a super experienced Truenas admin, but am pulling my hair out.

our main share is on this server so I need help.

Worked perfectly fine for over a month, just all of a sudden it stopped.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello, I have Windows 2016 Domain, Small Network. For some reason Truenas is giving permission denied and asking for credentials. I enter credentials and gives permission denied.

It is joined to my domain, it appears to function in that capacity. DNS is correct, all my normal windows shares work.

I have tried removing and re adding the the share and nothing has worked.

I need help, not a super experienced Truenas admin, but am pulling my hair out.

our main share is on this server so I need help.

Worked perfectly fine for over a month, just all of a sudden it stopped.
Please PM me a debug. I'll try to take a look over it today and give you some pointers on troubleshooting.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
To recap for posterity. The issue was that the IP address of the TrueNAS server had changed causing a mismatch between AD DNS and where we actually were. Since our netbios name was also not the correct one, I recommended leaving AD through the GUI (which cleans up AD computer object and AD DNS entries) and then rejoining AD with correct netbios name. Once that was done, shares were restored.

Generally speaking if you're using TrueNAS in an AD environment, be careful to look through full implications of networking changes.