Shared folder accessible on one device, not others

Rooteduser

Cadet
In brief, see title. I can access a shared folder from my nas over the network on one computer, but not another.

Hello TN community, just a brief introduction to myself. Nothing really important so don't worry about skipping.

Back in 2015 I built my first desktop for gaming after suffering single-digit performance on an ill equipped laptop that gave up the ghost after a year of torture. I liked the process so much I upgraded again in 2020, luckily right before lockdown. My second system had 6TB of storage that I knew I was going to want for some archiving of some early pre-alpha game footage I was dabbling in at the time, bug reports and all that.

It got me thinking how all my stuff was stored on drives stacked in a drawer. Accessing them through a USB cable was adequate enough, but I was curious about having more. Pihole also kept corrupting on my raspberry pi so I thought if I could combine the two, that'd be great. I fell down a youtube rabbit hole which led me to 'homelabs' that were gaining in popularity. I wanted to host everything on the same machine, and maybe run a virtual machine for testing stuff on. There's also a bunch of movies and family photos and videos and.... Okay I got a lot on my plate.

Checked out ebay and facebook marketplace, zoomed in on my area and picked out a bunch of parts that were within reasonable driving range. Purchased a few new 4TB HDDs while amazon had them discounted. As expected, it was fun assembling all the parts, cable management was relaxing, and the only modification I had to make to the case was some mounting holes so the drives could be fit upside down.

Liking TrueNAS after seeing a few videos on it, for a while, I tried building up everything through docker but that proved more troublesome than installing pihole on my raspberry pi ever was. Moving up from core to scale, I settled in and installed the truecharts catalogue. While I do hope to build my system up through docker, I'm content with what I have for the time being.

So, with that out of the way I am presented with a problem. In attempting to create a shared folder, I am unable to access it on my laptop. On my desktop it works just fine, I was even able to test it and it uploads, downloads, and generally works as expected.

Installation of the software is as per usual. 'root' user access with my custom password works and I'm able to access and explore the interface. Truecharts gets installed, now lets get my shared folder setup. This is pretty much what I did from memory, if you need any other info please ask.

Create pool, two drives (sda and sdb) set to mirror, named "Pool1".

Create dataset:
Name: SharedFolder
Type: FILESYSTEM
Sync: STANDARD
Compression Level: Inherit (LZ4)
Enable Atime: OFF
ZFS Deduplication: OFF
Case Sensitivity: OFF
Path: Pair1/SharedFolder
Comments: Folder where shared storage can be accessed

Create group:
Name: User
Samba auth: checked

Create user:
Name: laptop-user
GID: 3000
Home Directory: /nonexistent
Shell: /usr/sbin/nologin
Email: –
Password Disabled: false
Lock User: false
Samba Authentication: true

Services:
SMB
Running: Yes
Start Automatically: Yes

Shares:
Windows (SMB) Shares: Running
Added 'SharedFolder' with default share parameters

Edit ACL:
Add item:
Who: User
User: laptop-user
Permissions: Full control
Apply perms recursively: checked
Save ACL

Under Datasets, my SharedFolder has the SMB indicator under its roles and I go to access it using the user and password that I just created, and it doesn't work. I fiddle around on my laptop but get nowhere and decide to go check it out on my desktop. First try, it works. I test it out by uploading some data and everything works as expected, a change in the storage available is even indicated on the dashboard.

Accessing the shared folder on my laptop was previously returning errors about a single user accessing the same folder from two different devices at the same time. Disconnecting from the folder on the desktop end, I return to my laptop and try logging in again, I no longer get an error but am simply told that the username/password is incorrect.

I'm very confident that everything is set up correctly since, obviously, I can connect to the server on my desktop. Knowing all this, I'm led to believe that the issue is with something specific to my laptop. Did a little bit of searching and work since earlier this Monday and I'm stuck.

Currently on my laptop, the only things I remember checking is that SMB 1/CIFS file sharing support are all off in windows features, and that Set-SmbServerConfiguration –EnableSMB2Protocol $true in powershell returned True.

Also, probably worth noting the operating systems involved:

TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.1

The desktop was a custom debloated w10 iso I created back in early 2021. Pretty stripped down for gaming, especally in the services section. Still looks and feels like normal 10 but I've been having issues as of the past few months so I'm going back to a regular install.

The laptop is a regular w10 install straight from Microsoft as of mid February.
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2/‎15/‎2023
OS build 19045.2604
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

I'll keep plugging away at this when I can between eat, work, and sleep, and keep this page open in my browser. Hope yall have some ideas because my google searches are running out and other threads haven't hit the mark. Thanks.

Rooteduser

Cadet
Went back and forth on this over the past two weeks running around the OS without results. Eventually got the idea to boot from a windows usb I created a while back. No issue connecting on that. Decided to do a fresh install on the laptop on a seperate HDD (with the same creation media originally used on the laptop) and, for whatever reason, worked. Did another install on the main drive, and things are working as expected.

Not sure what I did since that previous install was only a few weeks old at the time. Oh well, thought I'd update and provide a resolution.