Several years old FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64 (fdbe9a0) no longer serving Windows clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanG

Cadet
Over the past few days I have lost access to the to shares that I was serving from my FreeNAS. All clients are Windows 10 and each appears to have failed to work after a reboot. I suspect that M$ have resorted to the old "Job's not done until <insert competitor A> won't run" ways.

My first thought was to try to update FreeNAS to the latest release (11 ?) but I come a cropper where the Media Creation tool fails to recognise the FreeNAS 11.1 ISO image as valid.

I have tried net use commands to the FreeNAS but the authentication fails.

My naive questions are:

1) Is there a known workaround to the recent authentication failures for Windows 10?
2) Will upgrading to the latest version of FreeNAS to fix this?
3) Are there *working* guides on how to upgrade a FreeNAS by USB stick which can be created on Windows?

Thanking you in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
Ian

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I suspect the newer Samba can solve the access problems, although you might have to change settings.

If Windows must be used to write the USB image, I'd choose this first: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/. Second choice would be Rufus in DD mode.

Redcoat

MVP

IanG

Cadet
Thanks for the replies guys. I managed to create a USB Image using wblock's suggested tool.

After this I came a cropper again! Turns out that in replacing my monitor last year I no longer have a device to hand that can accept the VGA output of my MicroServer! I have ordered a VGA->HDMI cable but will not see it until next week.

Attempts to resurrect my NAS will restart next week unless there is a way for me to attempt upgrade headless/via the web-console from 9.2.1.7 - x64

kind regards,
Ian

wblock

Documentation Engineer
We normally ask people to describe the hardware they are using. What do you have? Some systems have IPMI or serial consoles.

Alecmascot

Guru
FYI, my WIN10 laptops cannot browse non-Windows servers on the network unless SMB1.0 support is enabled in Win10. You only need the client, not the server.
This is with FN on 11.0-U4 and WIN10 patched to date.

IanG

Cadet
It is a ProLiant G7 with 8GB Memory and 4 X 3TB Drives.
It boots from an internal SanDisk Flash Drive Cruzer 16 GB Silver.

It has been a couple of years since I have even given thought to this box. It just sits there happily chugging away without taking the limelight.

Redcoat

MVP

IanG

Cadet
Almost at the bottom of the first link I gave you above - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709 - is a link to a MS Knowledgebase article with the last resort instructions for overcoming the blocking of the Samba insecurities in W10. I suggest you try them on at least one Win machine as you wait for your adapter.
@Redcoat - Thanks. I had a read of your links when you sent them.

Not sure I 100% got what the M$ wonks were suggesting other than "To work around this issue, contact the manufacturer of the product that supports only SMBv1, and request a software or firmware update that support SMBv2.02 or a later version."

I have enabled "SMB 1.0/CIFS SMB File Sharing Support" on the last client that stopped working and rebooted. I did not see any return to being able to connect to the FreeNAS server shares.

Regards,
Ian

Redcoat

MVP
Hmmm...

I'm guessing that you cannot browse to them (the server does not show up in File Explorer) because of the netbios issue. But can you not connect to the server with \\servername or \\severipaddress entered on the address line in File Explorer (as I can)?

That's my situation across each of my 4 W10 Pro installs. I gave up on further investigation - perhaps I should have tried remaking the shares but I didn't yet.

IanG

Cadet
Hmmm...

I'm guessing that you cannot browse to them (the server does not show up in File Explorer) because of the netbios issue. But can you not connect to the server with \\servername or \\severipaddress entered on the address line in File Explorer (as I can)?

That's my situation across each of my 4 W10 Pro installs. I gave up on further investigation - perhaps I should have tried remaking the shares but I didn't yet.

Redcoat,
Since being on Windows 10 on three machines, none of them seem to see the FreeNAS client when browsing the network. I *always* use net use to initially connect and have the connection remembered. These are the type of features that I expect from Microsoft.

My post has been prompted by my three machines no longer being able to renew that\those connections.

On shares that were previously present on clients there are "tombstones" of the failing connection (that had worked for years/months before) and when I try to connect from the command line I get various errors.

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use O: \\192.168.1.10\Media01
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

I might just try to create an entire new version of FreeNAS when I get my cable. Then I will be asking what I need to do to keep my Datasets between the versions!

Regards,
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.