Set up SMART Reporting via email

freenas-supero

Contributor
Thread doesnt conclude and topic is related so I figured that I'd post here. I used to get these emails and while the format was plain text, it was real readable (see screenshot 1). Now since upgrade to 11.3, the email format is very messy (see screenshot 2).

How do I fix this???

Attachments

• screenshot 1.png
    screenshot 1.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 483
  • screenshot 2.png
    screenshot 2.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 321

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thread doesnt conclude and topic is related so I figured that I'd post here. I used to get these emails and while the format was plain text, it was real readable (see screenshot 1). Now since upgrade to 11.3, the email format is very messy (see screenshot 2).

How do I fix this???
I addressed the email formatting issue several months ago; revised scripts here:

P.S.: Looks like you need to set up SMART jobs to run regular short and long tests on your drives...

freenas-supero

Contributor
I addressed the email formatting issue several months ago; revised scripts here:

P.S.: Looks like you need to set up SMART jobs to run regular short and long tests on your drives...

Thanks @Spearfoot for the updated scripts!

I do however run SMART tests on a regular basis, but recently discovered that for some reasons, the results are not stored ...

Discussing this over here

I also wonder that is the purpose of "get_hdd_temp.sh" & "get-system-temps.pl" ? Instead of getting a periodic check of the system and output the results to email, I would normally prefer to get an alarm (via email or WebUI) if something goes off or exceeds a certain threashold.... Am I missing the point of those two scripts?

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
I run the get_hdd_temp script every 15 minutes and add the results to a file. Then I look for a single drive (that I know runs hotter) and put all those results into a single file which I rotate everyday. I do this to keep an eye on the changing temps during the day.

Of course, I never actually look at the results - but thats another issue

freenas-supero

Contributor
Of course, I never actually look at the results - but thats another issue

Hahahah

Seems to me that there should be a place in Freenas webUI to set system threshold (temps, CPU usage, etc) and generate alarms. Another thing I noticed in the new WebUI. The power down option is right next to the log off button. Power cycling options should be fully separate from other stuff. My 2 cents ;)

I suggested the same in pfsense, everybody tought that it was a good idea but never got implemented. Of course, I'm totally useless coding...