Server acting super weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3RadMan

Explorer
My server was working reletivly fine, with the occational cksm error, but nothing major, then I replaced the drives in my system and I started getting lots of problems. With the new drives I started getting "ata error count increased" alerts, everything worked fine during the mass media transfer, no alerts, easy fast transfer. Then **** really hit the fan. First, the data started getting extremely slow to load, unwatchable movies. The GUI went out, I wasn't able to view it on any browser or device I tried. I thought it might be some weird connection with the drives, so I disconnected my raid card and I could get in the gui. I replugged it in and the first time I booted non of the drives showed up. I turned off the box, wiggled the card a little, and turned it back on. I didn't look the first time, but the second time I saw the card bios showed all the drives. But now I'm back at beginning. I lost the volume and I can't import it. I'm not worried about that, just kinda annoying. All the drives are there, but I can use the gui. I ran short smart tests on all the drives, with no errors in the results (will run long later). But I'm still getting ata error count increase alerts. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Box specs:
Xeon 2670
32GB DDR3 ECC ram
LSI 9211-8i IT Mode FW 20
Brand new supermicro sas to sata breakout cables
7 WD 8tb "white drives" (unlabed reds) and 1 properly labeled red drive
Seasonic 520w psu
FreeNAS Version 11.1

Last edited by a moderator:

Th3RadMan

Explorer
It seems like after attempting to uncheck too many alerts breaks the gui, now nothing will load

toadman

Guru
Sounds like HW failure(s). You man want to run some speed tests on the drives to see if you have one flaky drive that is in effect "stalling" the system because it's so slow on I/O. I had that happen once. Removed and replaced that drive and voila, everything normal. You might also check your install and see if it's corrupt or not.

I think jgreco had a thread on how to check individual disks for i/o speed. That's what I used as a guide when i diagnosed my system.

Th3RadMan

Explorer
It seems like when I unplugged one set of 3 of the drives, the gui loaded no problem, didn't matter which set of 3 I unplugged. But when I plugged all them back in the gui wouldn't load at all again

tvsjr

Guru
3 drives split from 1 connector? That's not good. By the way, "relatively fine" and "occasional checksum error" are orthogonal. You shouldn't be routinely seeing checksum errors.

The usual hardware suspects would be the PSU (and associated wiring) or the controller/cables.

Th3RadMan

Explorer
I'll fix the splitter situation. With these new drives, haven't had any checksum errors actually. I'm getting ata error count increased errors and drives aren't smart compatible errors. I didn't get these on my old drives. I have a feeling my controller might be bad. What would a good modern controller be that I can pick up for not an arm and a leg? (preferably around $100)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.