semaphore timeout when writing ascii/text files to windows share

ctjanney

Cadet
Dual Xeon, 24GB RAM, 4 x 10GB Ironwolf drives and intel 4 port Gig NIC TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202006050424

This is my first TrueNAS setup. It has been running like a champ for about 3 months. I work in post production, and this NAS has 3D renderings writing to it, editorial using it, all sorts of large files reading and writing, without issue. It's the ascii files that have started to be a problem. Small or large (some applications save their project files as flat ascii even 250MB or more), as well as production python code. Writing even a simple python script to the drive takes **minutes**. The only error I get is from Sublime, which gives me a 'semaphore timeout' error. VS code has issues as well, but no error messages.

I created a test dataset with various settings and I'm still getting the issue.

I've burned the better part of two days trying to search for the answer to this problem. I would really appreciate any directions.

Thank you, take care and be well.

-ctj

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Dual Xeon, 24GB RAM, 4 x 10GB Ironwolf drives and intel 4 port Gig NIC TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202006050424

This is my first TrueNAS setup. It has been running like a champ for about 3 months. I work in post production, and this NAS has 3D renderings writing to it, editorial using it, all sorts of large files reading and writing, without issue. It's the ascii files that have started to be a problem. Small or large (some applications save their project files as flat ascii even 250MB or more), as well as production python code. Writing even a simple python script to the drive takes **minutes**. The only error I get is from Sublime, which gives me a 'semaphore timeout' error. VS code has issues as well, but no error messages.

I created a test dataset with various settings and I'm still getting the issue.

I've burned the better part of two days trying to search for the answer to this problem. I would really appreciate any directions.

Thank you, take care and be well.

-ctj
PM me a debug.

Yorick

Wizard
TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202006050424

You might consider moving to Beta2, just in case the issue you encounter has already been fixed in there.

Code:
fetch https://download.FreeNAS.org/12.0/STABLE/BETA2/TrueNAS-12.0-BETA2-manual-update.tar
freenas-update ./TrueNAS-12.0-BETA2-manual-update.tar
reboot

ctjanney

Cadet
I take that back: TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202006050424
There was a bug related to SMB2 FLUSH in this version IIRC. Try switching to either BETA or new nightlies.
Sounds good. Thank you.

ctjanney

Cadet
updated to BETA2 and all is well in the world!! Thank you @Yorick and @anodos . Very much appreciated.