seeing errors, looking for help fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
So for some reason I have not been able to configure my email, I put in the information and I get timeout errors when trying to send the test email, so I have not been getting any emails from my freenas.

I update to the latest software on 4/14 and then logged back in this morning and noticed these error

Apr 15 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[1473]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Apr 15 00:27:03 freenas ipmi0: KCS: Failed to read address
Apr 15 00:27:03 freenas ipmi0: KCS error: 5f
Apr 15 00:27:09 freenas ipmi0: KCS: Failed to read address
Apr 15 00:27:09 freenas ipmi0: KCS error: 5f
Apr 15 03:09:54 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py: [common.system:210] Failed to send email: Connection unexpectedly closed
Apr 16 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[1473]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Apr 16 03:01:15 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py: [common.system:210] Failed to send email: Connection unexpectedly closed
Apr 16 04:15:13 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py: [common.system:210] Failed to send email: Connection unexpectedly closed
Apr 16 04:15:13 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py: [common.system:210] Failed to send email: Connection unexpectedly closed

If anyone could tell me whats going on here and point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
It would be helpful for you to show us what your settings are in
System> Email
system-mail.gif

Common mistakes:
The From email box: must have a legit email address (required by your email provider),
try entering your email address in the From email window.
Your email account may have Two Step Authentication which requires settings tweeks,
try google search with FreeNAS/email/>your provider here<

Aurabolt

Cadet
I have been getting the same error since updating to FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604140622 (8781269). I googled the error and found this post. I fixed it by doing the following. However, I lost the ability to "send as" - emails from FreeNAS always come in as my own account. I had previously set up a filter to auto-tag incoming emails from my FreeNAS server.

Of course, you need a regular Gmail account for this:
  • Create an App Password on your Gmail account for your FreeNAS server:
  • Go to FreeNAS config: System > Email
    • From email: <Gmail email address>
    • Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
    • Port to connect to: 587
    • TLS/SSL: TLS
    • Use SMTP Authentication: Checked
    • Username: <Gmail username>
    • Password: <Generated password copied from Google App Password webpage>
    • Click Save
    • Click Test Email

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
I have been getting the same error since updating to FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604140622 (8781269). I googled the error and found this post. I fixed it by doing the following. However, I lost the ability to "send as" - emails from FreeNAS always come in as my own account. I had previously set up a filter to auto-tag incoming emails from my FreeNAS server.

Of course, you need a regular Gmail account for this:
  • Create an App Password on your Gmail account for your FreeNAS server:
  • Go to FreeNAS config: System > Email
    • From email: <Gmail email address>
    • Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
    • Port to connect to: 587
    • TLS/SSL: TLS
    • Use SMTP Authentication: Checked
    • Username: <Gmail username>
    • Password: <Generated password copied from Google App Password webpage>
    • Click Save
    • Click Test Email
Thank you!
This fixed the problem.

I had to modify my gmail account first to have 2 step login verification first before it would let me create an App Password

Status
Not open for further replies.