Error showing in console messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentk10

Explorer
I have gotten the following error a few times. It seems an email wasn't able to send. I have 3 cron jobs that send me an email everyday, but they all seemed to have run normally today.

Aug 15 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[1896]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Aug 15 05:00:02 freenas /find_alias_for_smtplib.py: [common.system:293] Failed to send email: (451, b'4.3.2 Internal server error (#OCF014)')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/common/system.py", line 274, in send_mail
server = _get_smtp_server(timeout, local_hostname=local_hostname)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/common/system.py", line 207, in _get_smtp_server
server.login(em.em_user, em.em_pass)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 729, in login
raise last_exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 720, in login
initial_response_ok=initial_response_ok)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 641, in auth
raise SMTPAuthenticationError(code, resp)
smtplib.SMTPAuthenticationError: (451, b'4.3.2 Internal server error (#OCF014)')
Aug 16 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[1896]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Aug 17 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[1896]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Aug 18 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[1896]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Aug 18 05:01:02 freenas /find_alias_for_smtplib.py: [common.system:293] Failed to send email: Connection unexpectedly closed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/common/system.py", line 274, in send_mail
server = _get_smtp_server(timeout, local_hostname=local_hostname)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/common/system.py", line 207, in _get_smtp_server
server.login(em.em_user, em.em_pass)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 720, in login
initial_response_ok=initial_response_ok)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 630, in auth
(code, resp) = self.docmd("AUTH", mechanism + " " + response)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 420, in docmd
return self.getreply()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 393, in getreply
raise SMTPServerDisconnected("Connection unexpectedly closed")
smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly close

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It is says Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) connection unexpectedly closed. Did you change any network settings, for example at your firewall?

trentk10

Explorer
It is says Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) connection unexpectedly closed. Did you change any network settings, for example at your firewall?

No, I did not. I am pretty sure on both occasions I wasn't doing anything with the system at all. (based upon the times and dates listed)

Also, in checking the emails I did receive, on these 2 dates, one email came 10 minutes later than the other 2...the dates that do not have the error, all 3 emails arrived at basically the same time. On the 15th, it was the UPS script email that arrived 10 minutes later, and on the 18th it was SMART status script email that arrived 10 minutes later than normal.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It could also be a problem with the SMTP server itself. That's something you'll have to examine.

trentk10

Explorer
It could also be a problem with the SMTP server itself. That's something you'll have to examine.

Meaning the log in request to att.net may have failed for some reason or another ?? My Outlook program does this sometimes...asks for a password for a few times, and says it cannot connect, so I could see that being the case (If I am following what you are meaning)

I am not exactly sure how I would go about looking into that....I am unfortunately very new to all of this at this point, and am learning as I go :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Meaning the log in request to att.net may have failed for some reason or another ?? My Outlook program does this sometimes
Sounds good to me. I configure my FreeNAS systems to use Google Mail and that has been working reliably for me for almost five years. Before that I wasn't using the email feature of FreeNAS and those were dark days....

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Meaning the log in request to att.net may have failed for some reason or another ?? My Outlook program does this sometimes...asks for a password for a few times, and says it cannot connect, so I could see that being the case (If I am following what you are meaning)
Yes, that's something you should investigate further.

You might want to contact your email provider or check their FAQs or something.

trentk10

Explorer
Just to update, I am showing 2 more errors today. Once of my cron job emails was 10 minutes later than normal, and my freenas.local daily run output was 20 mins later than normal.

When I get time, I will switch email providers and see if that clears this up.

Thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.