Secure (encrypted) offsite backup needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemarine

Contributor
What are my options, if I want to have an encrypted offsite backup? I'd like the files to be encrypted on my box and then sent out in an encrypted form, so no one at the location of the offsite backup can read the files.

A lot of people use crashplan, and I tried it too. But it requires a lot of attention, as the plugin break from time to time and the service is also very slow. Any other options besides buying a second Freenas box and using replication?

There are *huge* advantages in keeping it on a ZFS box; in particular, you can keep one backup with, via snapshots, keeps various levels of old versions as you think fit. And there won't be incompatibilities with ACLs and permissions and all the usual problems.

Spacemarine

Contributor
True, but yo need a place to put it and that place has to be safe in some different ways (theft, fire, etc.) It also needs a high bandwidth. That's not something everyone has or that comes cheap.

I'm not saying hat I need something cheap, but buying a complete new box, renting a place to put it, might be a little too much.

styno

Patron
Not cheap but maybe rsync.net is something for you. I am not sure about encryption options...

Yeah, the idea of trading off-site storage is likely to be workable in my particular locale and circle of friends, but bandwidth and friends willing to supply the space (or trade) don't grow on trees, not automatically available to everybody.

Another box is easier; most of us have spare boxes of suitable (not ideal) spec, and I worry less about a number of issues on the backup box. Another set of disks is expensive, but kind of unavoidable if you're going to add another copy of the data to the universe.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If you can stand the idea of backing up via a client, consider Arq Backup combined with something like Amazon Cloud Drive or Glacier, or Google Nearline.

Spacemarine

Contributor
Not cheap but maybe rsync.net is something for you. I am not sure about encryption options...

I have about 3 TB of data, that I'd like to backup. That's about 420 USD per month. Unfortunately that's way too much... I also don't know how I could encrypt the data, before sending it off to rsync.net

Linkman

Patron

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you want to backup 3tb you will need to use crashplan or build your own box.

I run crashplan from a Linux vm and just mount my data using smb. More reliable and supported solution for crashplan.

Linkman

Patron
Ah, yeah, that T in 3TB will cost :(

And 3TB is a fairly small server. The primary video production server is going to end up at 8+2 x 4TB; won't be 100% full on day one of course, but 3TB is tiny. Our backup server (to cover that big primary and another smaller primary) will be 8+3 x 6TB.

Luckily my partner and I both have lots of bandwidth and are willing to host each other's spare disks :smile: .

fta

Contributor
http://www.hashbackup.com/

Back up your 3TB to backblaze B2. It will cost you about $15 per month. Note that the hashbackup author plans to charge for hashbackup sometime in the future, so that is the only unknown. I've been using it to back up to B2 for months now. The author is also very responsive if you email him.

Spacemarine

Contributor
http://www.hashbackup.com/

Back up your 3TB to backblaze B2. It will cost you about $15 per month. Note that the hashbackup author plans to charge for hashbackup sometime in the future, so that is the only unknown. I've been using it to back up to B2 for months now. The author is also very responsive if you email him.

This looks like the best solution by far. What performance do you get for up- and downloading from backblaze B2?

fta

Contributor
This looks like the best solution by far. What performance do you get for up- and downloading from backblaze B2?

I max out my 10 Mbps uplink. I get 30-50 Mbps when restoring on a 100 Mbps downlink.

mrichardson03

Dabbler
I've been running Duplicity (duplicity.nongnu.org) along with the duply helper script in a jail to back up to Amazon S3 Infrequent Access, and it's been working pretty well. It's a lot like HashBackup in the sense that it's agnostic to the backend storage provider (Amazon, Azure, B2, rsync, FTP).

CheckYourSix

Dabbler
Tarsnap looks really nice, but it would cost me about 720 USD per month plus another 720 USD for the first upload. That's also out of the budget...
I have no idea what kind of data you have, or if this will help you, but you did read that it says billing is based on "the actual bytes stored or transmitted after data deduplication, compression, and encryption" right? Many people see the price and immediately ignore everything else. You can also download their software and do a dry run to see how much data would actually be used. It won't submit anything, it just gives you a report.

Spacemarine

Contributor
Thanks for that input, but I know that most (at least 90%) of my data is not redundant and can't be compressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.