BUILD Second Freenas Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qosmo

Cadet
A little over a year ago I ripped out my Perc5 Raid card from a Dell 2950, and dropped in six 3tb HD's along with a LSI raid card. Fast forward a year I'm about to build my second Freenas server, and looking for some final information. Mainly will be using my NAS for streaming Plex on my home network.

I originally was going to do a massive server build out, but slowly realized that I would be wasting my money. The build I will be going with will include:
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O
CPU: i3-4170
Memory: Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 32gb
PSU: SeaSonic S12G-450
Hard Drive: Toshiba 5TB x10 (once the prices come back down)

I'll be using the 10 ports on the Motherboard for the hard drives, but my question is, with an LSI card can I add something like this to my server later down the road? Do I have enough ram for adding 15 more drives? If so, do you know of a good LSI card for the storage device?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For a server that is supposed to grow that much, you definitely want Xeon E5.

I'll be using the 10 ports on the Motherboard for the hard drives, but my question is, with an LSI card can I add something like this to my server later down the road? Do I have enough ram for adding 15 more drives? If so, do you know of a good LSI card for the storage device?
You could add external SAS expander chassis. You can either drive them with the onboard LSI SAS 2308 or a separate PCI-e card with an SAS 2008 or 2308.

Qosmo

Cadet
For a server that is supposed to grow that much, you definitely want Xeon E5.
For a server eventually resting around 100tb, is 32gb enough ram, or should I be looking for something that can support 64 - 128gb along with the Xeon processor?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For a server eventually resting around 100tb, is 32gb enough ram, or should I be looking for something that can support 64 - 128gb along with the Xeon processor?

Uhh.. 32GB of RAM is insufficient for 100TB of storage. Go for a system that can do 128GB of RAM.

Qosmo

Cadet
Uhh.. 32GB of RAM is insufficient for 100TB of storage. Go for a system that can do 128GB of RAM.
I figured something that could do 128GB of RAM would be a good place, because of the expansion I want to add eventually too. Doing a SuperMicro build with 24 bays, and having the ability to add another one or two of the Dell PowerVault MD1000 in the future I would have to have some real hardware to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.