searching for files within no Freenas Pool from Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

Wizard
To quickly search for a file, either complete or partial, I usually use the "find" command over SSH.
It is a bit tedious to have to repeat this procedure whenever I need to.
I am interested to know if there is a Windows application that would allow me to handle the "find" over SSH with a search box entry?
I don't like the search feature of Windows, either too slow or never up-to-date.
Basically, what I am looking for is being able to enter the text I want to search by initiating the search request on Freenas by calling the "find" command while maintaining the SSH tunnel and returning the list as either a text file or a link to the file themselves.
Does a application like that even exist, and if so I would also like it works as a background task so not to have to load it anytime I need it. Any idea?

gpsguy

Apollo

Wizard
I definitely don't want the indexing from happening within Windows and the Locate 32 against database is not so different from the finb command as both need to have ssh to be able to run them. Locate32 would make search a snap, but lack the live update capability.
I don't mind waiting a bit as it is not really an issue. What I am trying to avoid is going through the step of running Putty or Bitvise, then run the "find" command with the proper settings.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can have ssh execute remote commands for you. I would make a script that took my search string as input and execute the find command for me over ssh.

Status
Not open for further replies.