Seagate green ST2000DL003 5900 spindown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigornas

Cadet
Does any one can spindown this drive?

I tested this drive with a new install ank is doesnt spin down...the same config with an old seagate drive works.

I can manually spin down it but frenas 7 and 8 seems not to be able to do it...any comments on this?

Regards

freenas 8 UFS 4k file system single drive

bigornas

Cadet
Yep... the firmware is version CC32 from stock which is the last out. The configuration is the same, apart the 2TB green was 4k UFS formated on FN stock and the other was NTFS and latter UFS...

I know this isnt important for the majority, but a pure NAS seating all day generating heat 2 work 3 hours is a waste of energy

Regards

David

RaynMan

Dabbler
Two/three places to check...

It's been a while and I can't recall too well. If the drives are connected to the mobo, then check the mobo BIOS for options on the drives spinning down. If they are connected to an offboard controller then do the same in the offboard controller settings. If there are no controller settings, then check the controller manufacturer website for a newer/different firmware that might support the spindown/spinup feature. Also, use the Seagate Tools software to see if it's possible to configure the each drive individually to power save mode. It should be on by default, but who knows.

I had the same drives spinning up/down and one of those things solved it for me, but this was near the beginning of the year and I can't quite recall which.

Ray

bigornas

Cadet
I tried today amahi with hdparm command "hdparm -S7 /dev/hda" the drive spins down....im going to test the seagate tools as the drive is the only different thing...even the two connected the green never spins down....maybe its because its green lol

i didnt knew that spin down was an option that could be set on or off....going to check

bigornas

Cadet
thanks everyone...

I quit after having some troubles doing a backup of a disk mounted on the same machine and solving that with a ubuntu livecd i decided to move to linux....either ubuntu server on USB or amahi or openfiler....although amahi can turn very interesting in short time

Power management works... samba seems faster, i can choose other file explorer like AjaXplorer, transmission works, linux community ismore helpfull...as oposed to a filesystem that is difficult to read with a livecd...no APM for new drives,new version is slower and incomplete over the previous, 8.0.1 rc1 doesn't work...for my basic need i fell freenas going back in terms of roadmap....

regards

David

Status
Not open for further replies.