Seagate 8Tb externals shuckable?

rvassar

Guru
I was wandering thru my local Costco last night, and they had a pallet of Seagate 8Tb external drives for $159/ea (pn: STLC8000600). Not really low enough to qualify as a great deal, but... It piqued my curiosity. Has anyone shucked one of these? Any info on the kind of drives inside?

rvassar

Guru
Being an 8TB Seagate, I'd put a hefty wager on there being an SMR "Archive" drive inside.

Ewww!!! I didn't think SMR had breached the 8Tb capacity limit yet, but it's probably only a matter of time...

Etorix

Wizard

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Ewww!!! I didn't think SMR had breached the 8Tb capacity limit yet, but it's probably only a matter of time...

Hate to make you feel old, but Seagate introduced the 8TB Archive series in 2015.

I can't wait until I have to explain to people why (SMR drives) make for a terrible choice for your zpool.

Date: Mar 31, 2015

rvassar

Guru
Hate to make you feel old, but Seagate introduced the 8TB Archive series in 2015.

Date: Mar 31, 2015

Right, but those are explicitly labelled as SMR. I was thinking more of the sneaky marketing types that tried selling SMR "NAS" drives...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
they had a pallet of Seagate 8Tb external drives for $159/ea

Not a great price per TB in any case. Best Buy recently had the 18TB's for $315 and it seems likely that we will see some good pricing around Black Friday.