Scale crashes during file transfer

waldizo

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm new to TrueNAS Scale and hope you can help me out here.

After updating to Scale 23 my system crashes: mainly when i transfer files to it through sftp, but sometimes even while accessing files. When starting a file transfer everything looks normal, then it looses connection not only to sftp but also the web gui, smb and commands through supermicro like "graceful shutdown" dont work only forced shutdown. The log files are empty during the time of the crash. I do get many "truenas kernel: EDID block 0 is all zeroes" errors and "Failed to start nslcd.service - LSB: LDAP connection daemon." after startup. With a screen I can't see what's happening after/ during the crash as for some reason after the supermicro logo theres no signal on VGA once Truenas is booting. Performed long smart tests on all drives, everything looks good.
Tried my best to read up on the issues but reached the limits of my knowledge, hope someone can help me out. Will attach logs.

I'm mainly using it as media storage and run truecharts jellyfin on it.

System Info:
TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4600 @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Supermicro x11ssh-ln4f
RAM: 4x Micron 16GB ECC DIMM
Drives: 6 WD Red 14TB HDD + 2 InnovationIT 1TB SSD

RAIDz2: 6 WD Red 14TB:
5x WDC_WD140EFGX-68B0GN0 7200 RPM
1x WDC_WD140EFFX-68VBXN0 5400 RPM

Boot pool mirrored:
2x SSD_2.5__1TB_InnovationIT_QLC

Attachments

• all_logs.txt
    770.8 KB · Views: 51
  • error_logs.txt
    27.7 KB · Views: 67
  • ker_logs.txt
    780.3 KB · Views: 54
  • sys_logs.txt
    4.1 MB · Views: 147

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd suggest first trying the Dragonfish Beta, newer kernel, see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, then it may have been a kernel issue with the particular hardware. If the issue persists, you may wish to open a ticket up for us to investigate, check the thermals, etc etc.

Manual Update:

ISO Download:

waldizo

Cadet
I'd suggest first trying the Dragonfish Beta, newer kernel, see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, then it may have been a kernel issue with the particular hardware. If the issue persists, you may wish to open a ticket up for us to investigate, check the thermals, etc etc.

Manual Update:

ISO Download:

I tried to update manually but it fails as the update requires uploading/downloading the files and that causes the system to crash.

Will try updating through the shell.

waldizo

Cadet
Tried updating manually over the shell with the commands: system update manual path=/...
that I found in the documentation hub

Switched from admin shell to CLI beforehand but it didn't recognize the commands.

Trying to reinstall SCALE now completely, but can't find Documentation on how to do it on an existing system, only reports by people saying it was easy but no mention of the steps they took.

I've to export the pools under storage -> export/disconnect and tick confirm export/disconnect, right? I have only one pool but one folder in the dataset is encrypted. Is the pool the only thing I need to export and do I then disconnect the data drives and install truenas fresh over bios setup menu like the first install?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Re-install is pretty easy. You just install fresh from the ISO, and then post installation go to Storage -> import to bring your pool back in.