Saying hello, can't wait to build my first Scale NAS!

ScaleyNas

Dabbler
Recycling a i3-10105 B560 system and patiently waiting for the 2/22 release of TrueNAS Scale! Really looking forward to seeing what it can do.
My Synology DS415+ has served me well but is pretty old now and it's time that I took things to the next level. So grateful to iXsystems for this wonderful project!

wsoteros

iSCSI Enjoyer
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome to the Forums! We are glad to have you here!

Be sure to keep us updated on your TrueNAS SCALE build! Which kinds of applications will you run on it? Anything unique? We adore seeing people's unique builds.

Again, welcome the TrueNAS Community Forums, and please be sure to take a second to read the rules if you have not yet already!

Happy NASing,

Will

ScaleyNas

Dabbler
Welcome to the Forums! We are glad to have you here!

Be sure to keep us updated on your TrueNAS SCALE build! Which kinds of applications will you run on it? Anything unique? We adore seeing people's unique builds.

Again, welcome the TrueNAS Community Forums, and please be sure to take a second to read the rules if you have not yet already!

Happy NASing,

Will
Hello. Thanks for saying hi and posing some questions.

Primarily, this will be for personal data storage and then some business data. Once I've got that settled and running smoothly and I'm familiar with it, I plan on expanding it's usefulness, considering it will be sitting there doing nothing 75% of the time. I might as well put it to work, right? Again, respecting the prime directive of holding, securing and protecting data. I've probably got about 5TBs of data now. Some housekeeping will likely trim that down to 4TB. I'm reading through the Scale documentations page by page. I have a minor IT background (used to setup Windows NT 4, 2000, etc.) so I'm familiar with most of this material but still have a lot to learn.

FUN PROJECTS:
Off the top of my head, I can see me running QBittorrent under Docker, I could possibly setup a 500GB SSD for app storage (got 5 or 6 120GB-500GB SATA SSDs collecting dust) and run a VM or two on it and noodle around with Debian Linux, learn some BASH scripting since I know almost nothing about Linux period. Possibly a minor role as an NVR for a couple of wireless cameras? TrueCharts is amazing and there's a lot for me explore there. I could see an iSCSI share for STEAM library. Plex might be fun to play with. I definitely want to setup OpenVPN so I can remotely access files when I'm traveling. I have my Synology still and it runs fine so I'll likely use that for some of this stuff too because the last thing I want to do is break my SCALE box.

THE WHOLE PICTURE:
I have 2 Z87 motherboards (both i5-4950 CPUs 16GB DDR3) rigs that could be used for SCALE. I would definitely like to setup one up as a backup appliance for my new SCALE machine. Primary SCALE machine will be called PHINEAS and the backup PC will be called FERB, after the cartoon of the same names. That way I would have immediate on-site backups. The other, PERRY, could be built and placed at a friends home for off-site backup. Or maybe I'll just use BackBlaze. If all goes well, and some business plans flourish, next year I'll upgrade to affordable, entry-level server grade equipment and ECC RAM and do it up right! lol

I was planning on using TrueNAS Core but as soon as I saw how close SCALE is to a first legit release(mere days!!!!), and that it will suit my needs better (Linux instead of FreeBSD)...well...it was a no-brainer. It's SCALE FTW.

wsoteros

iSCSI Enjoyer
Administrator
iXsystems
Those are awesome applications and a great pick with TrueNAS SCALE, it is right up your alley!

We are more and more excited as we get closer to the Major Release (it feels so close!).

Personally, I have been having so much fun with SCALE and have put it to work with similar applications!

I love the naming schemes, I am young so I grew up on Phineas and Ferb! Thank you so much for sharing what you are working on and I look forward to seeing you around :). If you have any questions please feel free to post! No questions are dumb questions when you are learning.

Best regards,

-Will