savecore Operation not permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logikgear

Dabbler
So recently I updated to 11.1 and for the last 24 hours everything seemed okay then i saw this in the console.
Code:
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da3p1: Operation not permitted
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da2p1: Operation not permitted
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da1p1: Operation not permitted
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da0p1: Operation not permitted

Anyone have any idea what it means? Googling hasn't come up with anything that I can tell. These drives are part of a pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Logikgear

Dabbler
Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.
I tried creating an account so i can create a bug report but haven't gotten an email to get into my account all day.

NASbox

Guru
So recently I updated to 11.1 and for the last 24 hours everything seemed okay then i saw this in the console.
Code:
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da3p1: Operation not permitted
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da2p1: Operation not permitted
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da1p1: Operation not permitted
Dec 19 07:43:12 freenas savecore: /dev/da0p1: Operation not permitted

Anyone have any idea what it means? Googling hasn't come up with anything that I can tell. These drives are part of a pool.

Can you comment on what was happening on your FreeNAS box at the time of the error?
Did you just get it once, or is it a recurring problem?
I'm having the same issue, but it's only when I attach/detach a pool. (See below)

I experienced the same issue when I imported and exported a pool (single disk pool on a removable drive for local backup). Very easy to reproduce - it happened every time. I have 3 pools BACKUP01,02,03 that I mount to /dev/ada3. (Load single disk into hot swap cady, wait for disk to be recognized by FreeBSD, import pool from the GUI, do my business, export from GUI, Unload the disk.) I'm just completing an upgrade, so I cycled through all 3 of my backups, and I got the error all 3 times.

I attached a portion of my log here https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/have-i-found-a-bug-in-freenas-v11-1.60425/#post-428906

If I had to guess, I'd say it had something to do with how the swap partitions are allocated/deallocated when a pool is imported-since I know nothing about the actual code, it's just a guess. I hope this hint gives the devs a way to reporduce the issue for troubleshooting. I don't have access to the issue on the bug reporting system, or I would have added this comment. Maybe the person who created it can do so.

devnullius

Patron
I just did a fresh installation for an existing FreeNAS 9.10 server. Installation seems to work like a charm but me too, I get these console errors... And I too am importing existing pools (3x 3TB + 1x 10TB)
I have a ZFS Pool with 3 disks: all these 3 disks are mention with "p1" as their da*-partition designation...
I also have an entry for my bootdisk /dev/ada1p1: Operation not permitted (freenas savecore).

I'll figure out how to do a bug report next... Post-edit: does not seem like something I need to do now...?

sunshine931

Explorer
I hate to be a "me too" guy, but me too!

I can reproduce this when adding new disks into a new volume. As soon as I save the new volume, the errors pour out.

devnullius

Patron
I'm now on 11.1 and haven't seen this problem again... Some problems I solved, see if something hits for you?
1. hdd backplane had 2 power supplies on a single PSU cable
2. I downgraded and upgraded a few times; maybe some upgrade paths trigger this and others won't
3. I made a completely fresh installation, wiping the old settings and installation
4. I added 5 fresh disks; I think that when I posted this I had 4 others disks. They became rather hot and had problems spinning up (see 1.) so I bought 5 new ones. In retrospect, I wasted my money a bit and I now have 4 brand new spare 3TB disks :/
5. I now have 3 pools: a single HDD (10TB), my old pool (3x 3TB) and my temp new pool (5x 3TB)

Let us know if something hits for you? :)

Last edited:

devnullius

Patron
I spoke too soon.

I detached and destroyed my 1x 10TB disk 'pool'. When I created the pool again, I got
freenas savecore: /dev/daXp1: operation not permitted.

It might have something to do with updating the pools to the latest ZFS version; some new flags got introduced in 11.1. Because I'm re-arranging my setup, I don't feel like it's worth the hassle to upgrade right now. First a backup, then new pool configuration. Sorry :)

Update a week later: no matter what I do (I reconfigured my disks layout many times now) I keep getting this error when importing a volume (this time, encrypted).

Last edited:

eddi1984

Dabbler
I am also getting this same error in the logs.

I imported my pools (1x8x4TB RAID-Z2 & 1x2x4TB MIRROR) from another hardware setup. The Freenas version are 11.1-U1 on old and new machine.

I started getting this message right after I upgraded the feature flags on the pool (I only upgraded the 1x2x4TB MIRROR).

Looks to me, that the feature flag upgrade triggered this. The 1x8x4TB was created with version 8.x or 9.x, cant remember ... to long ago ...

Cheers,

Eddi

mumbleskates

Cadet
I've downloaded the latest version of freenas today (11.1-RELEASE) and installed it on a vmware virtual machine. Attached to that machine I have a boot drive, and 8x20gb data drives configured in a single encrypted raidz2 volume.

Every time the system starts and the volume is unlocked (via passphrase from the web UI in the volume management section -- is there an easier place?), the message in question is printed for each drive just as everything finishes:
upload_2018-2-28_4-29-28.png

Otherwise, everything seems to be fine.

The volume was created just earlier, on this very same instance and version, and the drives were never attached to anything else. No hijinks whatsoever, you might say.

Logikgear

Dabbler
I'm Sorry I never responded to the thread everyone. I don't know if anyone else came with a solution but it appeared that I was having a lot more problems than the freenas savecore not permitted. I ended up having a bad HBA card. I replaced it and all my problems went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.