Save Windows 10 system image to FreeNAS

Agent92

Explorer
I'm trying to create a system image in Windows 10 using the backup and restore (Windows 7) feature. You are supposed to be able to save the system image to a network location. So I enter the path to the network location:

\\NAS01\pc-image\

And then my credentials but all I get is:

Code:
An error occurred

The parameter is incorrect (0x080070057)

Close Windows Backup and try again.

I seem to remember you having to type the username in a very certain way for it to work. If I remember correctly you have to type it like "NAS01\username", I tried that also but same issue.

Has anyone got this to work?

artlessknave

Wizard
I would try removing all permissions on the destination and see if it works at all first before trying to divine why microsofts permissions don't work. cuz they do that often. once you find out if it works start limiting the access until you either find where it starts to fail or get it working.

Agent92

Explorer
I can already browse to the share in file explorer with the credentials I'm using so shouldn't that mean it would also work for creating a image?

I did try some time ago to create a open SMB share but never managed to get it working so not sure how I would try even.

artlessknave

Wizard
no, you would need to try it with the app thats having problems, not with another app. ms apps are opaque, so you have no idea if it works the same or not. you might think it would be...but it's MS, and they like to make things different for reasons known only to them, many times running some kind of test without telling you, then failing when the test you dont even know exists naturally fails since you can't prepare for a test that you cant even read.

elorimer

Contributor
Related to this, I found the following problem with the W7 backup and something I did. Specifically, I moved the location of my "Documents", "Downloads" and "Music" folders to a dataset on my FreeNAS server. Then, I configured W7 backup to backup my C drive and make a system image. My thought was to backup the 5 or 6 gigs I have on my Windows machine, with the backups of those folders being handled by snapshots/replications within FreeNAS. And then duplicate that for the 4 other Windows 10 machines in the household.

The problem is that the W7 backup follows the links to those Documents, Downloads and Music folders, so each system backup was on the order of 500gig. I haven't figured out how to avoid that, so I've moved those folders back to local storage. :mad: