SATA DOM (ADATA) and a backup questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

heimos

Dabbler
Hi,

I am setting up a FreeNAS system and I would like to use this SATA DOM to host FreeNAS (in mirrored setup). Has anyone used ADATA SATA DOM ?

My other question is: If I setup RAIDZ2 (4 x 4TB WD Red) on my primary system and do a ZFS replication to a secondary back up system, does that system also have to be setup in RAIDZ2 ? Since it it a back up system, I was thinking of setting it up as a stripe or a mirrored configuration using 2 x 8 TB WD Red drives.

Thank you in advance.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I am setting up a FreeNAS system and I would like to use this SATA DOM to host FreeNAS (in mirrored setup). Has anyone used ADATA SATA DOM ?
It probably couldn't be worse than a USB stick. On the other hand, if you used USB flash drives you'd be able to make a 6-disk RAIDZ2 pool.

My other question is: If I setup RAIDZ2 (4 x 4TB WD Red) on my primary system and do a ZFS replication to a secondary back up system, does that system also have to be setup in RAIDZ2 ?
nope

heimos

Dabbler
It probably couldn't be worse than a USB stick. On the other hand, if you used USB flash drives you'd be able to make a 6-disk RAIDZ2 pool.

nope
Thanks, RAIDZ2 pool will be expanded later on when I add additional 4 x 4 TB drives to it. My only concern is lack of reviews for this SATA DOM

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks, RAIDZ2 pool will be expanded later on when I add additional 4 x 4 TB drives to it. My only concern is lack of reviews for this SATA DOM

Unless you need the IOPS increase from having a second VDEV, you may be better off just buying 6 disks to start. You'll basically get the same storage capacity as 8 drives in a two 4-disk RAIDZ2 vdev zpool configuration, and some cash to boot.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
My only concern is lack of reviews for this SATA DOM
I'd be more worried about compatibility. It's going to need a power source and most SATA ports unless specifically provisioned for a SATA DOM don't provide that. I don't see anything about en external power connector for it.

heimos

Dabbler
is SuperMicro SATA DOM the best option in this case? I would also like to mirror them for redundancy.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Not sure if I'd use the term "best" but it is an option. I run one without issue. When I built mine I would have looked at something like this if it were available since it's half the price of a supermicro DOM. If the ADATA one has an external power adapter or you were using a motherboard with a powered SATA port then it would likely be fine. I just don't know if this one does.

Status
Not open for further replies.