SOLVED SAS2FLASH Easier Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

YTKColumba

Dabbler
so I managed to find a machine with UEFI enabled. Here's what I did to get a EFI Shell (combining @SweetAndLow and another tutorial)

http://serverfault.com/questions/67...lize-pal-while-upgrading-an-lsi-9211-8i-to-it
  1. Downloading the Shell_full.efi from https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2/EdkShellBinPkg/FullShell/X64/Shell_Full.efi
  2. Create a directory hierarchy on the usb like this /efi/boot/
  3. Now in /efi/boot/ place the Shell_full.efi file and name it bootx64.efi
  4. Restart and press F8 / F12 / anything that gives you the boot menu.
This should give an option to boot from UEFI / Legacy with the USB, and select boot from UEFI and it gave me the EFI Shell

Will try out updating my cards in a bit and let everyone know the result.

moosekaka

Dabbler
Thank you for this thread, I followed YTKColumba's tips on setting /efi/boot and renaming the shell file to bootx64.efi. My mobo is an Asus P8H67 pro. FWIW, my BIOS is American Megatrends version 2.10.

@YTKColumba , @SweetAndLow thank you for your persistence on this thread, it help me out a lot to roll back a partial version on my HBA card.

Zwck

Patron
Sorry for necro-ing the tread.

I have flashed my lsi card succsessfully but with -b mptsas2.rom is there a way to just disable the mptbios after the fact or do i have to reflash the card from the start. i.e. going thu the steps of
sas2flsh -o -e 6
sas2flsh -f 2118it.bin
add seriesno etc pp

Last edited:

Sakuru

Guru
You have to reflash the card.

moosekaka

Dabbler
Thank you for this thread, I followed YTKColumba's tips on setting /efi/boot and renaming the shell file to bootx64.efi. My mobo is an Asus P8H67 pro. FWIW, my BIOS is American Megatrends version 2.10.
I just want update that I updated the firmware to P20 (upgraded FreeNAS to 9.10) this time using just SAS2FLASH.exe (DOS version). My FreeNAS mobo has no EFI so using the DOS version seems to be the easiest solution for such mobos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zwck

Patron
I
I just want update that I updated the firmware to P20 (upgraded FreeNAS to 9.10) this time using just SAS2FLASH.exe (DOS version). My FreeNAS mobo has no EFI so using the DOS version seems to be the easiest solution for such mobos.

Have done this already, you can do it with the freenas built in sas2flash tool from the console. There should be another thread where I asked this question.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer

DJABE

Contributor
you need to get the file that is called sas2flash.efi and place that along with the firmware file that ends in .bin onto the root of a flash drive then when in the bios the sas2flash.efi shell will appear as a boot option. Once you boot from this you can follow the directions to flash as normal. My motherboard didn't have a built in efi shell and i spent way to much time learning about everything before i found this solution.

Just little note: you don't boot directly from USB - but boot into UEFI shell only. Then select your USB device with map -b and fsX (where X is number). That way, your usb stick is just storage device holding needed files. This step fails if you want to boot directly UEFI from USB - boot UEFI shell only.

Conclusion: on modern mainboards with UEFI, this is the only option to invoke -e erase function of sas2flash tool. DOS version simply does not work with PAL errors, A20 gate thing and other shit.

And frankly I don't have access to old BIOS-only mainboard which have PCIe slot. So this UEFI tool is the only way to get out of this Catch22 with dead manufactuer like LSI / Avago.

Status
Not open for further replies.