SAS Multipath Help..

WB3FFV

Dabbler
I have a Dell R720xd, and I decided to add an MD1200 shelf for expansion, so I got it all together and installed an LSI 9207-8e controller with IT mode and the current P20 firmware. When I first setup the array I didn't have the second SAS cable, so I just set it up single path and figured I would add the second cable when I got it. Now I am finally to that point.

So I add the second cable and boot up TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1,and looking at the pool and storage I have assigned it looks good (see attached Dell-mpath1). The I go look under storage/disks, and I don't see the drives that show in the storage pool, but I now see the drives as new and unassigned in this section (see attached Dell-mpath2).

So it thinks the same disks are two different devices with the second SAS cable attached. I found the section on setting up multipath, and tried via shell to establish the links, it rejects it:

Code:
# gmultipath label -v disk0 /dev/da14 /dev/da26
gmultipath: cannot store metadata on /dev/da14: Operation not permitted.

It does this on any disk that I try. Is there some way to fix this, or do I just have to run single ended as it's how I set it up to start??

I am for sure scratching my head, so would appreciate any help..

Attachments

• Dell-mpath1.png
    Dell-mpath1.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 332
  • Dell-mpath2.png
    Dell-mpath2.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 331

wolfman

Dabbler
Had a similar issue lately when transferring disks from an old server to a Dell R730xd with a SAS enclosure Xyratex HB-1235 (see https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ed-as-multipath-disks-in-sas-enclosure.91255/). However the enclosure was always attached with two cables/two paths.

I ended up pulling all disks from the enclosure not recognized as multipath, "wiping" them (sgdisk --zap-all), and re-adding them, where they are recognized as multipath-disks and then resilvered the disks.

I guess your posted code could have probably saved me from resilvering my disks - i'm a total noob regarding multipath. o_O That said, i really am of no help here, but you could try the very inelegant method of pulling/wiping/resilvering.