SAS controller vs multiple SATA HBAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mka

Contributor
I was thinking to buy the IBM M1015 since it is praised as a suitable controller for FreeNAS and I was going to attach 6x WD Red 4TB drives.

The only drawback seems to be the IMHO high power consumption of reported 12W for simple HBA functionality. That's almost close to my whole Intel Haswell system in idle without HDDs at ATM 16W. Do suitable HBAs with lower power consumption even exists?

Or would a simple set of a few SATA 2-port HBA controllers be suitable as well? They are pretty cheap (two SATA 6Gbps ports for 20-30€), come in a lot of flavors, usually don't have any heatsinks at all and I've a few (not enough) unused SATA ports on my mainboard and 4 unused PCIe slots as well.

Does a controller like the M1015 flashed to HBA does provide any advantages in speed or driver support over cheap SATA HBA controllers? The only advantage I see ATM (if they can be used with large drives 4TB and possibly more?) it is widely used with many user experiences... at cheap SATA controllers one probably has to find one with a well supported chipset?

Does anyone here made similar decisions at the controller choice and can share the experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.