SAS Card Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sround

Cadet
Hey all, I've been using freenas for years on normal desktop hardware with a lot of success. I've never worked with server hardware before and decided it would be a fun project to upgrade my nas to actual server hardware. So I picked up an HP Proliant DL380 G7 on ebay and after reading some posts on HBA cards I picked up a LSI 9207-8e and external HDD rack. The HBA card I ended up with seems to be a HP H221, but I picked it up on ebay so who knows . I did a little research on the card before purchase and found a post of someone else who used it with success by cross flashing to a different firmware. I assumed that I would have to do the same to get this card to work with freenas. However when I try `sas2flash -listall` no card is recognized. The bios sees the card as a 'unknown storage card' so I know that the machine is able to at least see something is plugged in. I did further research and found this thread which provided a few grep searches to try to determine what it was running. None of the grep commands found anything in `dmesg`.

At this point I thought perhaps its a compatibility issue with my proliant pci port. Maybe the proliants too old or something idk. So I threw the SAS card into my gaming rig, and got similar results. I'm running windows 10 and the device manager showed an unknown pci card that it couldn't find any drivers for. I tried downloading LSi drivers windows 8 and 7 and then HP drivers for windows servers but nothing made the card recognized. `sas2flsh -listall` listed nothing on my windows machine as well.

I'm starting to wonder if the card isn't DOA, but honestly I'm a bit out of my depth here. I'm not sure what I can do next to continue to diagnose the issue, and I'm not entirely sure what to google to try and self help at this point.

Not sure if its relevant, but I tried using this card on both freenas 10 and freenas corral. Most of my attempts have been with corral.

Card details:
- SAS9207-8e
- Part # 660087-001

Any help would be appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
cross flashing to a different firmware. I assumed that I would have to do the same to get this card to work with freenas. However when I try `sas2flash -listall` no card is recognized.
Wait, did you actually erase the firmware or try any of the crossflashing steps before trying sas2flash?

sround

Cadet
Wait, did you actually erase the firmware or try any of the crossflashing steps before trying sas2flash?

I havent actually cross flashed it yet. I never got it to show up in 'sas2flash' for me to even see if I would need to cross flash it. I havent seen 'sas2flash -listall' actually show a detected card.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, what's the output of sas2ircu list?

sround

Cadet
Ok, what's the output of sas2ircu list?

sas2ircu list
LSI Corporation SAS2 IR Configuration Utility.
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.

SAS2IRCU: No Controllers Found.

sas2flash list
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
ERROR: Invalid command list

Exiting Program.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, so the card is not in good shape. Try the UEFI version of sas2flash just be sure. If that doesn't work, arrange to have the card replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.